No name saw bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1NRO

Reaction score
I dragged this back recently, a project no doubt but I think there's potential. There's no name cast into it s no sign of s missing plate, does anyone recognise it as being from a certain manufacturer? At the moment it's known as the farm saw as that's where I got it from!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 230
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 231
Definitely a project. :shock:
But I have to ask what youre going to do with it :lol:
To turn it onto a hobby saw will cost you three times what a hobby saw will cost, and it doesnt look like it tilts. 8)

Looks a little fancier than your usual PTO driven saw that you see at farm auctions, there were quite a lot of small-scale machinery manufacturers in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century and unless the name is cast into the machine you'd have a hard time knowing who made it.

W.B.Haigh comes to mind but it's purely a guess.

Hi Bob,

Bit of a project but no drama, simple machine really that appears to be without any terminal problems. I like how it's the table that moves rather than the arbor. I'll be looking to use it to it's potential, up to 8" ish.

1NRO":10e0stlg said:
I'll be looking to use it to it's potential, up to 8" ish.

Remind me to be out of the country when you get kickback on an 8" rip :lol:

It's worth picking up a few really old tomes on bench saws of this calibre, they're not as straightforward as sub-16" blade machines and require quite a bit of careful setup and packing to prevent the saw plate from warping in the cut and having all the teeth cutting in unison and such.

Saw Mill Work and Practice by W.J. Blackmur
Saws and Sawing by Sydney Lister
Sawing and Planing by A.H.Haycock
Modern Mechanical Saw Practice by J.Raymond Foyster
Circular Saws by Eric Stephenson and Dave Plank

I think I would also prefer to be elsewhere while it was being used, and I've been around dangerous machinery for almost 60 years :shock: :roll:

Do the refurb, then sell it to a static farm museum and buy a modern one with the money. =D> 8)

Thanks for the pointers on literature Trevanion, I'll have a look to see if any are available, I like books being from a age when there was no internet.

Bob, I'm not the type for modern machines. I'm not sure there's anything available I'd spend money on other than very high end machines which I'd have to wait a long time to be able to afford and likely they'd be difficult to bring back to standard by then.

I’ve spent many an hour beside one of those, cutting up firewood. Is this the thing you’re powering with that 2hp motor?

Give the blade a tap with a hammer - it should ring nicely. If it has a crack, it’ll sound dull, just like a cracked china plate. They have been known to fly apart.

This saw came with a 10hp 3 ph motor.
The blade is well past use, hardly a tooth left on it, a new one will cost more than I paid for the machine :roll:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 84
Lovely looking machine.
Certainly deserves bringing back to life.
Should be safe enough if due respect is bestowed upon it.
It's probably not that difficult to create an anti-kickback system.
Go for it, I say. =D>
ATB,
Daniel

Not quite component form but mostly apart. I'll break the frame down and then it's all to drag to the electrolysis tank for a long soak. Bearings looked OK, plenty of grease and no ingress which I was worried about as its sat outside some time. I'll see how they wash up and fingers crossed they'll live to run another day. The wood packer system can be seen on the underside of the top.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 44
Back