NO MORE NORM

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just sent Discovery H&L an email when I found that New Yankee Workshop will no longer be on H&L after this weeks afternoon slot.
It has been removed from the 1.00am repeat & has been replaced. :(
This years season has just finished in America & that is when the new seasons shows are normally shown here.
From being one of the only shows that has been shown continuously since the channel started as TLC we are now left with no woodworking & a surfeit of fishing.
For those who wish to make our feelings known on the subject please send emails to [email protected] voicing your dismay. :x

Good morning Dewy

Some of us might be :D , whilst others amongst us :) , some could be :( , others :eek: , whilst some might be :shock: , some could even be :? by what is happening.

Of course, there will always be the 8) ones who thinks it won't affect them. Others will try to :lol: it off, whilst some will be :x and :p whilst they :oops: others.

The great :cry: is that the :evil: H&L might become :twisted: if this has no affect on their viewing figures. :roll:

It could always be an opportunity for H&L to show The Router Workshop which currently airs on PBS. :idea: It will also probably cost them a lot less than good 'ole Norm. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

PS As I need to get out before the market crashes, I have a complete set of Norm Videos which I will offer for sale to the highest bidder. Did I hear tuppence?

Hi All,
Yes, email sent from me to. It really is sad that they are stopping the show. The "Great Man" definitely learned me a lot (As opposed to that plonker Tommy Walsh! :evil: ).
Newby neil, I take up your offer on the Videos (to supplement my own copies). That leaves only "Changing Rooms" for your joinery training now Neil :D
Sadly,
Philly :cry:

Sad news. :(

Though I have my criticisms of the show, there was lots of constructive ideas that came from it.

Also, its not as if we have a surfeit of such progs on the box.

Email sent

Hi Philly

Philly":1utaglwx said:
That leaves only "Changing Rooms" for your joinery training now Neil

How wrong you are. I've got the complete set, in a handcrafted presentation case, of "Boyz in the Wood" series I and II.

There are probably lots more treasures around, now I remember does the name Smith and Sweetman ring a bell? :wink:

See, I can go on for ages. :roll:

Cheers
Neil

Email sent. IMHO H&L has plummeted downhill lately.

Now all I need to do is persuade SWMBO that we don't need Animal planet and the scifi channel and I can downgrade my NTL subscription and save money (to spend on tools, obviously :wink: )

Neil,
Oh, god :shock: I forgot about Boys in the Wood (either that or my brain erased all memory of it :lol: )
Please, can we have a woody tv show with presenters we DON'T want to kill slowly...........
Back to the books then,
regards,
Philly :D

Philly

Philly":whsqt48z said:
Please, can we have a woody tv show with presenters we DON'T want to kill slowly...........

I would love to see the Router Workshop over here. I receive the "monthly" tips which are normally very good.

Haven't a clue about their presentation skills, but they have been doing it for nearly ten years and they do make some really interesting projects.

http://www.pbs.org/routerworkshop/index-2.html

Cheers
Neil

I'll send an email.

They also seem to be putting alot of the "LETS SELL OUR HOUSE" programs on.

I dont think they have a woodworking offering for this summer either...

E-mail sent here too...................does that mean my beard and check shirts have to go aswell?

Aidan,

...........Thinkin of takin up fishin

Aidan":3mzqblq1 said:
E-mail sent here too...................does that mean my beard and check shirts have to go aswell?

Aidan,

...........Thinkin of takin up fishin

Hmm, fishing eh...just think of it - the serenity, at one with nature, man against fish, all the stuff you could make to take with you...tackle box, fishing stool, rod rests,presentation box for flies.. :lol:

Nah it's no good, mate. Everything always seems to come back to woodworking!! As they say 'You can take the man out of the workshop, but not the workshop out of the man!'

Gary

Another email sent. "Norm" was responsible for my interests in cabinet making. Although my skills have a long way to go, I could say I owe it all to Norm... (including the expense and frustration :wink: )

"Bring Him Back" :cry:

OK, email sent.
I got a bit carried away actually. I get incensed by programmes that assume everyone needs to be told what they like. "You can see this is a lovely house/flat/villa because the current owners have had the sense to paint it". Meaning - "you could have got it a lot cheaper if you had the nouse to see the potential before they turned the walls this colour".
I just can't believe that people have become that naieve over the last few years!
Any-one agree or should I just keep hoping (very quietly) that some of the property programmes will disappear?
Cheers.

SF

E-mail sent
The best presenter in woodworking, :( has this now left room for a new series of Boys in the wood? hope not.

Alan

I hope not too. Maybe they're getting ready for another series of The Great Australian Woodshop. lol
I don't think the H&L management realise what Norm has done around the world. I have chatted with people in Australia & USA & as soon as you mention woodworking, they ask what you think of NYW. Norm has a voice that hypnotized people into enjoying woodwork. I have a lady friend in USA who misses watching This Old House & NYW since she moved to a different state. She had no inclination to use wood but just loved watching his shows. My son is the same. He isn't interested in woodwork but finds Norms voice restful but interesting to listen to.
When I put a garage up 10 years ago the 1st thing I did was make a bench with carpenters vice built in. Next came a table saw (thanks to watching NYW). Now I can hardly move for all the power tools I have built up. Sliding mitre saw with adjustable stops (thanks to Norms project), biscuit jointer, 6" jointer, pillar drill, morticing machine, radial arm drill, router with table, plus many more plus jigs hung from skyhooks & as many clamps as I can lay my hands on. If I hadn't watched NYW since it started I would have still been doing just the occasional bodge up instead of trying to improve with every project.

Back