No more 2 3/8" blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr T

Established Member
Reaction score
I had some bad news today! Stanley have discontinued their 2 3/8" plane blades. The 5 /12 plane which takes this blade is the standard plane I use for refurbishing on my courses so I am a bit stuck. An extensive search has not found a supplier with a stock of these blades. Record Urwin do similar but I do not know the quality, has anyone experience of Record Urwin blades?

Chris

Ozziwaldo, Chris T(ribe) is a tutor, running courses, more than "one fella". Then you incorporate the cack-handed, notching or blunting blades as they acquire prowess...go figure.

Sam

On a couple of my beginners courses we refurbish a plane, some students will bring their own plane to work on, for others I will provide a plane to work on, usually a 5 1/2 which I believe is the best Jack plane. I think I may single handedly drive up the price of 5 1/2 planes on Ebay! Often the blades will be beyond recovery which is why I need replacements. To keep costs down I don't use the up market blades such as Quangsheng and Ray Iles also I don't want to get into widening the mouth on these courses. So the Stanly blades were my choice, even though their backs are sometimes not quite flat. I suppose I could change to No. 5 planes as the 2" blades are stil available.

Chris

Nah. I've got both a 5'an'an'alf and a straight 5. Former's greater heft or mass makes for smoother (as in the movement) planing** and far better use on a chuting board. Stick to your guns Chris. Sam

** Edit: same argument pertains for heavyweight shoulder planes like Record 073 (or is it 074?) etc. Once momentum is up, even minor knots get sliced cleanly.

Chris, Philly planes
http://www.phillyplanes.co.uk/
do all their irons inhouse. You probably know better than I do about him. Wonder if he might be amenable to processing small batches from O1 flat stock at a reasonable cost. Just an idea.
You could even get them stamped Tribe. Proper momento of your course for your students.
Regards
Chris

My bad Osvaldd. :( Got grumpy dealling with 'auto call back' that patently isn't; took it out on you. Grrrrr....blasted technology.

Steamin' Sam

Bm101":1dr6i8hf said:
Chris, Philly planes
http://www.phillyplanes.co.uk/
do all their irons inhouse. You probably know better than I do about him. Wonder if he might be amenable to processing small batches from O1 flat stock at a reasonable cost. Just an idea.
You could even get them stamped Tribe. Proper momento of your course for your students.
Regards
Chris

Nice idea Chris but I am retiring in March so it's a bit late to get into that sort of thing!

Chris

Mr T":1ijz64ni said:
Fishing, river conservation work and musical making. Should keep me quiet for a couple of years.
Well the first two should keep you quiet. The musical making sounds a little noisier...

With regards to stocks of Stanley irons... I found that UK retailers are not good at stocking UK made products (why bother, when you can order direct from the maufacturer). Several years ago I wanted a Clifton iron and two-piece cap-iron for a Record No.08. It was several months after Clico had stopped making that size and I couldn't source one from any UK retailer I could find online. In the end I sourced one from the USA and the other from Germany. Overseas sellers usually have some stock due to the time it takes to get new stock from UK.

The moral of the story is, look overseas. Try Germany (quick, while you're still in the EU :wink: ) or the States, or Aussie, or even NZ.

Cheers, Vann.

Toolbank still list 2 3/8" (60mm) irons by Stanley, Irwin Record, and if all else fails, by Faithfull. Might be worth a try - they may still have some Stanley stock.

http://toolbank.com/0/c/D5032

(I have a Faithfull iron in one of their No 3 planes I bought out of curiosity some time ago. The iron is OK - nothing special, but it does what it's supposed to, more or less. I'd say it was 'value for money'. Most of the rest of the plane, not so much.)

Thanks for the link Yetloh but in the context of my courses I think they would be too expensive, almost tgheprice of a secoind hand 5 1/2 on ebay.
I tried Toolbank CC but after initially saying theyb had some they found they didn't.

It turns out that Stanley have now discontinued the 2 3/8" blades. I am trying Record Irwin and on the last course they seemed Ok. I have also an Axminster rider blade, but it is thicker and I said before that I don't want to get into widening the mouth on the course.

Chris

Latest posts

Back