No - it can't be - I have finished something!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed

Established Member
Reaction score
A forum lurker graduates into a newbie wood butcher...

Less time on the web and more time in the garage produced this.. a birthday present for my mum and my first completed project!

Thanks to all for providing lots of inspiration on the forum pages for future projects.

Ed

bird1.jpg

bird2.jpg

bird3.jpg

bird4.jpg

A hearty welcome to the Forum, Ed, and well done!

:shock: That's the shiniest, smartest bird table I've ever seen.
How did you fix the table to the post? (Cunning bit of photography there - you'll do well on here!) :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

really nice Ed

another one on my to-do list!

Hi Ed

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the table.

I had a look at your website and that was some serious travelling. You must have had an amazing time.

Cheers
Neil

Ooo, very posh, Ed. =D> Presumably a bird table for penguins 'cos they're the only ones dressed smartly enough... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Ed

The birds will be queuing up to make use of that table and I'm sure your mum will be delighted. Well done!

Gill

very nice ed tell your mum not to put any old bits of bread on it, best bird seed for a posh table like that :p :p 8)

Thanks for the welcome folks,

FelderMan - yes there are some posh birds around here. SWMBO just won't let me talk to them.....

Trev - the table is attached to the post with one of those knock down thingies rescued from a pine Ikea coffee table. There is a nut and washer right in the center of the table ( hidden in the photo :) ) The nut sits between two plastic plant pot trays so you can't see it normally. The trays can be taken out for washing down to keep the table clean.

Infact the Ikea table also yielded the eaves, 4 corner posts, the mitred frame on the table and the edging on the roof panels . The ply roof and the table top were the from the old ply lining in the landrover that we took out before our trip. ( Yes the ply has been sat in the garage for 2 years - I just can't throw anything away!). The only things that was not from "recycled" stock were the post and legs which came from Wicks. The Ronseal 5 year woodstain was also left over from doing the patio door frame.

Total cost for the whole thing was about £12.

I have just had a request for another one for the soon to be Mother inlaw.

Alf, NewbieNeil - here are a couple of South American friends on there way to dinner...
http://www.overlandy.com/pictures/galleries/Argentina/PuntaTombo/index.htm

One of the saddest things about our travels was the amount of forresty we saw in Chile that had been cleared for pasture. Most of the time the timber was just bulldozed up into piles and left to rot while the cows grazed around them. ( Trunks 3 to 4 feet thick ). Often there were so many they looked like haystacks.

But it was also nice to see the use of timber everywhere - here is a gate made with wooden pivot points - simple, efficient and using the local materials available. The left two posts are moticed through the horizontal bar and third hole is round to accept the rounded gate vertical (for want of a better word).

http://www.overlandy.com/pictures/galleries/Chile/CarreteraAustral6_new/images/IMG_1385_JPG.jpg

Sorry folks but once I get going there is no stopping me...

Still on a wood theme - here is a petrified tree trunk in Argentina. There were many, many trunks on this site and they were all perfectly aligned with each other. They were all blown over by the same volcanic blast and then promptly covered in ash.

http://www.overlandy.com/pictures/galleries/Argentina/PetrifiedForrest/images/IMG_1805_JPG.jpg

Cheers All

Ed

(Edited to put links instead of images as they may take sometime to download)

Latest posts

Back