No I don't want polyphonic ringtones thanks!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm being plagued with pop-ups offering me ringtones. I don't want any. I just had another one, even while I was writing this. Whjere do these bl**dy things come from?
John

John, If you have windows XP you are probably getting the popups from the Messenger part which was activated long after XP was launched. Very few popup killers will stop them. You need to disable Messenger within XP to stop them. Instructions below.

There is the cure for Messenger popups within XP. Open the Control Panel from the Start menu. In Category mode click on Performance then Maintenance. Click on Administrative Tools then double click Services. Scroll down the right hand list & double click the Messenger entry. Click the Stop button & select Disable from the Startup menu. Click OK to apply. You should no longer be bothered with these popups

johnjin":217q3bn4 said:
Hi John

Try this, it really works and its free

http://www.panicware.com/index.html

All the best

John

That's done the job nicely, thanks

Dewy, thanks for the info on stopping the messenger popups, fortunately mine were already blocked, my problem was full page, full colour (lurid even) ads for every kind of rubbish

John

John

Installing Mozilla is another option. No more pop-ups, and you get tabbed browsing, my latest "can't live without" feature. You can bookmark a set of tabs, so for example, clicking one bookmark opens up several woodworking forum sites at the same time. Coool... 8)

Back