No.8 Plane Spares.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osvaldd

Established Member
Reaction score
Fellas, where can I get 2 5/8" lever cap? There aren't that many no 8 about, let alone spare parts for them.
I’m very lucky to have been gifted a Record no 8 plane, only lever cap missing.
I'm generally against buying chinese suff but I would make an exception this time, workshopheaven sells Quangsheng spare parts but the biggest lever cap they have is 2 3/8".
any ideas?
cheers

Attachments

• IMG_4417.JPG
    IMG_4417.JPG
    902.7 KB · Views: 800
Buy a leaver cap for a No7 on eBay and save a search for a No8 untill one comes up.
Try the second tool dealers tony midland etc.

I don't know if the Lie Nelsen No8 lever cap will fit.

I need a No8 Stay set one for mine after finding a stay set blade for mine, but that's going to be impossible I fear.

Pete

I have just tried a No5 1/2 leaver cap on my No8 obviously it fits width wise boy it is slightly shorter, 63mm from the top of the hole to edge on the No8 and 59.5mm on the 5 1/2 about an eighth in the old money.
But apart from that it works fine, I wouldn't hesitate to use a 2 3/8 leaver cap on my No8.

Pete

8 parts are by far the hardest to find in the states - more incomplete planes than there are complete planes, so lever caps are hard to find (and expensive) and iron and cap iron sets can be a pain.

If you can find a beater or broken 8 plane, it will probably be as cheap or cheaper than a lever cap from a dealer or plane parter.

I have a broken Stanley No.8 type 13. I'd rather the lever cap went to another Stanley type 13, but if you get desperate you might be able to twist my arm. PM me - but don't expect a quick relay, I'm writing this from the departure lounge at Auckland airport, about the leave the country for a week in Tonga (I think that's a gloat).

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":3pvruns3 said:
I have a broken Stanley No.8 type 13. I'd rather the lever cap went to another Stanley type 13, but if you get desperate you might be able to twist my arm...

thanks Vann,
very much appreciated, I agree with you about stanley parts for stanley planes though - it wouldn’t be right. As Racers mentioned no7 cap works just fine, looks a bit odd but works. I’m attempting to make my own though, It’s not easy to work with 10mm thick steel.

Attachments

• IMG_4422.JPG
    IMG_4422.JPG
    991.5 KB · Views: 535
Anyone know where to get nice looking brass thumb screws for a lever cap?

Finished making the lever cap, quite pleased with it

Attachments

• IMG_4432.JPG
    IMG_4432.JPG
    847.1 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_4431.JPG
    IMG_4431.JPG
    792.5 KB · Views: 438
Well done, that's a really effective replacement. What size thread is it on the temporary screw?

8mm standard pitch metric. I couldn't find any brass thumb screws to buy though, not the size I wanted anyway.

Don't rush to buy anything. I'll have a play on the lathe and see if I can come up with something. :wink:

What a great little brass thumb screw. Thank you Andy. I don't know how you made it but it's perfect!! :D

Attachments

• IMG_4434.JPG
    IMG_4434.JPG
    570.4 KB · Views: 196
Osvaldd":37zcmxc9 said:
What a great little brass thumb screw. Thank you Andy. I don't know how you made it but it's perfect!! :D

Glad you like it - it was a nice excuse to mess about on the lathe. And just in case anyone was going to ask how it was made, I took a few snaps along the way. :)

My lathe is an old, bread and cheese powered one - the whole story is in this old thread i-blame-roy-underhill-t72124.html
I reckon it's just right for this sort of project.

This photo shows a lump of hex section brass in the early stages. It's held in a three jaw chuck at one end and on a half centre at the other, where I have already drilled a central hole. I've turned the head end round, leaving it as big as I could, from the stock I had. I've also started turning down what will be the threaded part.

capscrew02.jpg

I slowly crept up on the thin part until it was 8mm in diameter, with the tip chamfered. Then I swapped the cutting tool for a two wheel knurling tool and attacked the head. This needs a lot more torque, so the lathe is running with the back gears engaged.

capscrew03.jpg

I then used a die in a holder to thread the stem. This is much like hand threading in a vice, but the lathe is better for gripping and the die holder handle can bear on the slide rest while I pull the flywheel round slowly by hand, reversing from time to time to clear the chips.

capscrew04.jpg

I swapped back to a cutting tool to clean up the inner face of the head and neaten the rim.

capscrew05.jpg

I've not had much success with thin parting tools, so I locked the head up and hacksawed through the brass from each side of the hexagon in turn.

capscrew06.jpg

That produced this untidy mess.

capscrew07.jpg

I then needed to re-chuck the screw. Unfortunately, my old three jaw chuck doesn't centre very well, so re-chucking something doesn't work nicely. The solution is to swap to the four-jaw.
If you look very closely you can see that I have wound thick copper wire around the thread to protect it from damage. Here I have a dial indicator set up so that I can get the work central enough.

capscrew08.jpg

With that done I could come in from the end with a curved cutting tool and do some decorative rings. I like doing this sort of thing - it's almost freehand, like wood turning, not aiming at an accurate dimension from a drawing.

capscrew09.jpg

And here's the finished item. It may be a bit too long, so do feel free to adjust it to suit.

capscrew10.jpg

Latest posts

Back