No. 7 mini-gloat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fromey

Established Member
Reaction score
My QS No. 7 plane turned up this afternoon (from Workshop Heaven). Unfortunately, no time to unwrap it and heft it today, maybe tomorrow. I'll report back on the weekend on the build quality, feel, etc.

EDIT: The original thread title was "Mini No. 7 gloat", hence the ribbing below.

After reading the thread title I started wondering what a mini no 7 was (homer)

I look forward to your review

DTR":1lyndgjy said:
After reading the thread title I started wondering what a mini no 7 was
The guy's just bought his 7th Mini (car); or it's a typo and it's his 7th goat (named Minnie); but most likely it's the gloat that mini, not the plane #-o .

:lol: :lol:

Cheers, Vann.

I confess I was slightly disappointed to find it wasn't a miniature #7. But a report on the QS#7 will assuage my disappointment just nicely. :D

If it's as good as the QS no. 6, you should not be disappointed.
Mind you, having bought mine, I came across some disquieting info. about the pay & conditions in Chinese factories (albeit not specifically related to QS or even woodworking tools).

Had I seen this before and also realised just how useful I was going to find a fore plane (having expected it to be a rather occasional tool), I'd have stumped up the extra for a Clifton.

Sawyer":2yafzada said:
Mind you, having bought mine, I came across some disquieting info. about the pay & conditions in Chinese factories .....
A slight diversion but...
There was a series of programs about that earlier in the year. It was quite an eye opener. It should be noted that the workers were very concerned about people boycotting the goods as it would mean they would have no job at all which would be disastrous for them.
A tricky one me thinks.

I was hoping mine might have arrived today, I ordered it last Wednesday, but alas it was not there when I arrived home from work, luckily my dovetail saw was!

I'm ashamed to admit that I'd not considered working conditions in the Quangsheng factory, I do hope the are are not bad.

RW

Mine arrived today and here are a few quick photos:

No7%202.jpg

No7%203.jpg

No7%204.jpg

No7%205.jpg

No7%206.jpg

No7%207.jpg

All the best,

RW

Hi, Rosewood

That looks very nice, how does it work?

Pete

studders":3kwamrih said:
Racers":3kwamrih said:
Hi, Rosewood

That looks very nice, how does it work?

Pete

You lay it on the wood, Pete, and push it forward.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Two genuine, audible "laughs out loud" from me in 2 days... this forum is on a roll!

Saw it coming a mile off and still had a belly laugh when I read it. Nicely worded too, studders. The ", Pete," was a rare bit of comic-timing in text.
Still chuckling now actually. :lol:

Hi Pete,

I've not yet put it to use, but a quick check with my winding sticks indicates no twist, and the sides seem good and square to the sole. I put a straight edge against the sole and there is just a slight crack of light along the middle section, which even without getting my feeler gauges out I reckon is within the standards, heck even the straight edge is only supposed to be 'straight' to a certain standard. All in all it looks very neat and feels good in the hand, I'll post more once I've had a chance to sharpen the blade and give it ago.

All the best,

RW

Hi, Studders

Well, I have had my moments :wink:

Pete

I have a couple of QS planes and am astounded by the quality. I am also impressed with the blades and chipbreakers and have just ordered 2 blades and 3 chipbreakers to upgrade my old Stanleys and Records.

Back