NINJA FOODI

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone got/used one of these? Are they worth the money? Is there anything they can't do? Are there better/cheaper alternatives?
I bought an air fryer a couple of years ago (I think it was a Tefal). Used it only once before it was relegated to the store cupboard from where it has since been 'disappeared' (I think my eldest daughter may have acquired it, as she did the breadmaker). I do not miss it and am grateful for the storage space for the next gadget to get discarded (which may well be a soup maker, which has not yet been used).

It is not that I think these gadgets are not fit for purpose, though. It is simply that they have no place in my head. If I want a roast, I make a roast using the oven as I have always done. By the time I remember the gadget (if I do), it is too late.

Last edited:
About 12 years ago I was gifted a Remoska by my mother. I love cooking, and had to teach it at secondary school level along with my main subject of Technology and a bit of Construction.
We have a small caravan and can now spend 10/12 weeks away, a lot of this time abroad, where campsite hook ups can be as low as 6 amp. Although I don't like gadgets we took it away with us to try out as it's only 400 watt. I was an instant convert and use it most days when away and a couple of times a week at home.
The only thing I have found it will not cook as well as a domestic oven is anything large that you want crispy. Many other meals it cooks better as it slightly steams and as such if you are reheating a meal it does not dry out.
They may not be cheap, but you can pick them up on Gumtree for about £40 in excellent condition.

Colin

Right, I'm off to mug about 43 grannies so I can get one

Where's tat balaclava

TTFN

About 12 years ago I was gifted a Remoska by my mother. I love cooking, and had to teach it at secondary school level along with my main subject of Technology and a bit of Construction.
We have a small caravan and can now spend 10/12 weeks away, a lot of this time abroad, where campsite hook ups can be as low as 6 amp. Although I don't like gadgets we took it away with us to try out as it's only 400 watt. I was an instant convert and use it most days when away and a couple of times a week at home.
The only thing I have found it will not cook as well as a domestic oven is anything large that you want crispy. Many other meals it cooks better as it slightly steams and as such if you are reheating a meal it does not dry out.
They may not be cheap, but you can pick them up on Gumtree for about £40 in excellent condition.

Colin
I see your an Eriba fan. I have an Esterel at my place in France and absolutely loved it, using the State subsidised campsites all over France.
Unfortunately I am no longer able to make use of it as my wife has developed Alzheimers and is unable to travel so it is stuck in a barn and the house will have to be sold. Still 20 years of happy memories:)

I bought an air fryer a couple of years ago (I think it was a Tefal). Used it only once before it was relegated to the store cupboard from where it has since been 'disappeared' (I think my eldest daughter may have acquired it, as she did the breadmaker). I do not miss it and am grateful for the storage space for the next gadget to get discarded (which may well be a soup maker, which has not yet been used).

It is not that I think these gadgets are not fit for purpose, though. It is simply that they have no place in my head. If I want a roast, I make a roast using the oven as I have always done. By the time I remember the gadget (if I do), it is too late.

We have had the Tefal Actifry for about 6 years and would not do without it we bought it because chip fryers tend to foul the air in kitchen this one you cant smell and we have cooked battered fish and prawns ,chicken, sausage etc we bought the rotating basket for these foods . Its far healthier with less fat used
We’re on our second Tefal actifry after swmbo wore out the first one and have supplemented it with a Cosori which she loves and cooks pretty much everything in it…from pies to any type of meat etc. The smell when I enter any sort of eating establishment now practically makes me want to vomit as all I can smell is the oil/fat used whilst the good lady rarely uses any at all. Tried a local cafe this morning for a sneaky brekkie stop after dropping my car off early for a service but couldn’t sit in there long enough to read their menu before the smell had me practically running for the door…sad but made do with Morrisons instead.

First loaf, 200gms white, 300gms Wessex Mill Tomato & Garlic.

Attachments

• DSC02180.JPG
    DSC02180.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 0
One thing that did surprise me was how noisy it is. The fan/s are obviously powerful as the element is so close to the food. Just a thought - if anyone is seriously thinking to buy one should hunt about now. I paid £250 last week from Amazon, Argos and Curry's advertised them for £250 but were out of stock locally, now they are £299 everywhere I've looked inc. Amazon.
It did a nice roast chicken as well last night - so far so good.

@paulrbarnard , howabout suggesting on of these for your daughters Bongo with a suitable LiFePo genie rather than fitting in a cooker etc. This video gives the idea for power source

@paulrbarnard , howabout suggesting on of these for your daughters Bongo with a suitable LiFePo genie rather than fitting in a cooker etc. This video gives the idea for power source

If it was mine I would go for large LiFePo bank, solar and induction. The daughter already has a gas stove/sink unit. The van was already bodged together as a camper and they are on a tight budget so reusing what they have. I’m contributing some new boards to replace the ones that were tooth crafted by beavers.

We've got the Ninja and a new fridge freezer (got rid of two old ones), which have cut the electricity quite dramatically. The Ninja roasts, bakes,pressure cooks and dehydrates well. And yes, it does pasties. I can't blame the Ninja for the untidy crimp - it's not burnt, it's made with brown flour.

DSC02223.JPG

An obvious conclusion is that we like as many kitchen gadgets as we do woodworking gadgets but have not worked out that is why we have so little room in our workshops, maybe if we had fitted kitchens in them then there would be space in the back of the cupboards to store it!

Latest posts

Back