nightstand/bedside cabinet now complete

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
The attched picture of my completed nightstand, The timber used came from a builders skip (best selected softwood) and the top is a kitchen laminate teak effect which matches our modern fitted bedroom suite.
Plans were begged borrowed and purchased with suitable modifcations to size and an additional door setup.

The wife seems suitably impressed but wants another on the other side of the bed to match,plus another to fill up a space which at the present time is empty.

Glad I didn't make them in oak, they have about 1 1/2 cu foot of timber which would make them weigh over 70lbs. Not suitable for lugging about when bedroom cleaning is taking place.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=4708

Very nice! That's a nice design.

Adam

Nice cabinet DW. I particularly like the bottom rail curving up from that little set in the legs

Yes must agree nice design, good looking piece the leg detail is very interesting. :D

Same question as Alf. 8)
Edit, having just found the image in the gallery the answer is there as well :lol:

Antique pine stain (water) plus 3 coats of danish oil.

The door panels were finished eventually with 7x8mm beading made using a cove cutter and then removing bead with a tablesaw from wider piece. I chickened out of a panel raising bit in the end but now I have two more pieces of furniture to make of the same design perhaps I have made a mistake.
Graduation now to furniture making 8)

Very nice DW. I like your design. It could look heavy but it actually looks anything but!
Nice job.

SF

Very Nice job. I think your wife paid you a wonderful compliment. (I want another one just like it). And there in lies the problem, making one just like. :D I have a hard time making another one JUST like it.

Very nice DW, really like the all of it but the legs and the handles are great.

With the panel raiser its not that bad, just remember, work at it in very very small nibbles and always do end gran first.

I normaly work at about 1/16 to an 8th depending on the material.

Its also one router bit that you have to really really look after, make sure its always clean and give it a lap every time you use it and you ll be fine in my experience.

Signal

Isn't it nice when everyone keeps saying nice things :D

The handles by the way were one of my pleasures, I used the cove cutter on three sides of a 25mm square piece of pine plus just ran a rebate cutter slightly on the two front edges.

It's does sound a problem to make a couple more to match, because I always seem to deviate somewhere along the line when making something. Timber is reduced in size because of an unsatisfactory finish at one edge etc. etc.

Thanks for the encouragement.

very nice, i like the curved rail at the bottom.
could we have a pic with doors open, and the drawer removed?

kenny.

Stylish DW 8)

I particularly like the way the chamfering and shaping on the legs give the bottom a sort of 'stepped out' look.

Regards the table top, are the sides square cut with just the front edge rounded over ?

Jeff

Very nice indeed, I wish I had made that :wink:

DW,
Very nice design & execution. What are the dimensions? Looks to be about 30" wide?

Andy

To Dedee width is 25in x 17 1/2" depth.

To Mdatflorida sides are square as per photographs at link.

To Dedee I have put up three more pictures, sides, top and draw at the following link:-

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au ... #post98754

The drawings for the idea were purchased from the web (about £4) and were a worthwhile investment to me. I did have to claim a refund on one set of drawings which was duly honoured, so I do have confidence to order again if required.

Back