Nice workbench build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doug, I don't know if I'm speaking only for myself but I don't like to follow blind YouTube links. There are any number of reasons for this (possibly the main one being if you've seen the video previously) but I know I'm not the only one who doesn't want to give certain channels even one extra view, so I appreciate it if the channel name is given so I can be selective.

Before someone says it: yes I do know there's a way around this issue but it's a hassle; so much simpler if we're just told up front.

This video is "Third Coast Craftsman", but I do find it a bit weird that you dislike some youtube channels so much that you wouldn't even click a link. What did they do to you?

ScaredyCat":2of72h4o said:
This video is "Third Coast Craftsman"...
Yes I know, I used the workaround (and it's a video I've watched before, which is what initially prompted me to post).

ScaredyCat":2of72h4o said:
...but I do find it a bit weird that you dislike some youtube channels so much that you wouldn't even click a link. What did they do to you?
Do you really think it's odd that someone wouldn't want to give even a tiny financial boost to someone they don't care for? It's not at all an unusual thing I assure you.

To judge by comments here plenty of members have woodworking 'personalities' who set their teeth on edge and would click away the moment they realised who the vid was by, so would prefer not to have clicked in the first place. Ones that get mentioned a lot are Cosman and Sellers but there are plenty of others.

In my case to give one example I won't watch vids from female woodworkers who gain extra views the wrong way – just a glance at the thumbnails of their vids will tell you what I'm getting at if you haven't noticed already!

ED65":z7aw8mlf said:
Doug, I don't know if I'm speaking only for myself but I don't like to follow blind YouTube links. There are any number of reasons for this (possibly the main one being if you've seen the video previously) but I know I'm not the only one who doesn't want to give certain channels even one extra view, so I appreciate it if the channel name is given so I can be selective.

Before someone says it: yes I do know there's a way around this issue but it's a hassle; so much simpler if we're just told up front.

Apologies, didn't know it was a problem, have edited my post to include what the link is.

ED65":10pkuglq said:
Ones that get mentioned a lot are Cosman and Sellers but there are plenty of others.

Cosman used to get on my nerves chronically, I think he's mellowed out a bit now and doesn't seem so pushy on the whole salesman pitching constantly as he once was. Another one was "The Samurai Carpenter" who was a bit like marmite, some people liked him and some people absolutely despised him, he thinks wood movement is a myth so that pretty much cemented my feelings in the latter camp! :lol:

ED65":10pkuglq said:
In my case to give one example I won't watch vids from female woodworkers who gain extra views the wrong way – just a glance at the thumbnails of their vids will tell you what I'm getting at if you haven't noticed already!

Oh, I know the ones! Like this?

[youtube]ksC7h3qEDJs[/youtube]

I built one of the Third Coast Craftsman benches from ash last year - detailed plans for about £12.

On the subject of YT vids, I'm genuinely impressed with some of the stuff Ishitani produces:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7FkqjV8SU5I8FCHXQSQe9Q

MikeG.":1vndmd55 said:
Venom? Where?

It looked to me like a well worded critique given calmly and unemotionally.

Same here. It's so hard to put tone of voice into a written post.

Lots to like, lots to wince at, I'd say.

I like the Roubo-one-side-apron-the-other. I've been thinking of doing exactly that for my next bench (there was never going to be a next bench, but I am noticeably shorter than I was when I built mine and it also has woodworm, so I need to get my finger out). That combo has the rigidity that comes from an apron with the flexibility that comes from having a top you can use trigger clamps on. And as I now have a layout where I can get to both sides of the bench, I think it an opportunity I should grasp.

I shall keep my 52½ vice, but I might move it to the opposite corner and install Chris Schwarz's leg vice in its place. And I might not. I'd like to swap my tail vice for a wagon vice, but it's a pricey upgrade for little extra benefit.

Some nice sharp tools being used there.

As for the wincing... does anybody else mark out their tenons from two opposite faces and then cut them before the mortices? That's bonkers. Very nice joinery, but produced A over T. And it is a brave man who drills holes with a drill press on a slab that size.

And the TS. Yes, it is a saw stop and yes, he has a RK set properly and a (not long enough but better than nothing) push stick, but no short fence and NO GUARD. And he's operating machinery wearing gloves. Rather him than me.

So a bit of a Curate's Egg, I think.

Trevanion":dnpxdgwn said:
youtube-video

There are far bigger issues with that video other than the clothing she's wearing. Overly brash music that's so loud she has to shout is just one of them. I wouldn't watch it out of preference, but not, I suspect, for the same reason you find it unappealing. But then I wouldn't have an issue clicking a link that led to it, thinking, "Naa no thanks". I'd just hit space to stop it* and close it.

*that 'music' is terrible.

MikeG.":1gz3cjoc said:
Venom? Where?

ED65":1gz3cjoc said:
wouldn't want to give even a tiny financial boost to someone they don't care for?

That not just disliking something and moving on, that's actively going out of your way to not do something that has little to no impact on you.

Steve Maskery":11v2u6t0 said:
That the embodiment of everything that is wrong with YT woodwork. But look at the numbers. Unbelievable. :(

It's the right target market, just look at the comments.

I'll go back to watching you wardrobe series now. :)

I won't get into the rights or wrongs of Youtube so just my take on the bench.
On the positive side it is well made and solid and I could work with it if it were mine. That said, is that hybrid design really necessary. He could have saved a lot of wood and money if he just kept the roubo plan and used a sliding deadman. For those with limited space they could only use half its function as it really needs to have access from both sides.
Regards
John

Steve Maskery":w1uo7ivj said:
That the embodiment of everything that is wrong with YT woodwork. But look at the numbers. Unbelievable. :(

There are worse: [youtube]dn_JxfGBVOo[/youtube]

And I found this, which may or may not be accurate in the least, but goes through the numbers on April Wilkersons's YouTube income. Why, and for what purposes I couldn't tell you, but it seems to suggest she makes a fortune. No idea if it is even remotely true.
[youtube]S9EwSwiO0m8[/youtube]

Steve Maskery":44gr6v3u said:
Trevanion":44gr6v3u said:
Oh, I know the ones! Like this?

That's the thing though, even if the contents not quite as good but they come across as being a happy likeable character people will warm to them. I enjoy Peter Millards channel because his content is good but more importantly to me he comes across as genuinely excitable about his videos/woodworking.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back