Nice- vice but how to fit it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

Just got a nice Record vice to replace my old crappy cheapo rubbish :twisted:

Question is how to fix it to bench?

What have you used for nice secure vibration free fixing to bench?

Tony

Alf":2yojvk5g said:
Coach bolts.

Well thats what I have used in the past, try to get them from a builders merchant or somewhere like Ernest Doe, they will be much cheep than from a shed. :D

Do coach bolts go all the way throug the wood?

I made my bench from 3" thick timber and would rather not have bolts all the way through if possible.

Vain, I know :(

Suppose I could hide the heads in a counter bore with wooden plugs............

Tony":8vwedufi said:
Do coach bolts go all the way throug the wood?

Well yes :!: They have a dome head with a square under it which is used to stop the bolt turning when the nut is being tightened. The hole is drilled to match the bolt and the end of it eased with a chisel to start the square in to it.

Tony":8vwedufi said:
Suppose I could hide the heads in a counter bore with wooden plugs............

That what I have done on woodworking vices, it looks neat and removes one more thing you can blunt tools on :shock: (I did not bother on metal work vices, yes I have/do do both :shock: )

Tony,
I mounted my vise on a piece of timber double the size and then glued and screwed (well coach bolts) that to the underside of the bench. You shouldn't have to bolt through from the top-as you say, your'e not vain but you don't want to mess up that lovely timber. The piece of wood spreads the load over a larger area. Give it a try.
regards,
Philly

Cheers Pilly

I found some some 'coach screws' today and will try your idea with them tonight

Back