Nice to be appreciated?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
The following two conversations have happened this week.
1. Our cleaning ladies are not allowed under the bed, as that is where I keep my veneer - figured maple, walnut, quartersawn oak, kevasingo and a few other bits and pieces. This week they complained that they couldn't clean properly. "We would like to do a good clean under your bed", they said. "Do you think you could move all that chipboard?"

2.Having rebuilt the patio, I had a few tonnes of hardcore and stuff to be shifted, and got a local guy to do it. He had been once before, when I was building my adirondack chairs, and was pleased to see the end result, even though they now look very weathered. He poked his head into the dining room at all my American Cherry dining furniture (table, chairs, dresser, sideboard, corner cab, bookcase, demilune etc, etc) "That's nice", he said. "You'd pay a few hundred quid for that lot. What is it, pine?"

Rest assured dear friends, both transgressors were educated before the conversation ended.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve

Just another normal day then, when your work isn't appreciated. :roll:

Well, as you noted, I thought it was excellent. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Hi All,

Makes it all worth while, i think not.

Steve i have been trying to find a company who can supply decent veneers, any ideas?

Regards

Mike.C

Hi Mike
I use Capital Veneers in London, 0208 525 0300. I ring them up, tell them what I want and send a cheque. Last time I ordered they hadn't got into the 20th Century (sic) with credit cards.
You have to know what you want. Bundle prices are a huge saving on a couple of leaves. But they will sell you just one leaf if that really is what you want. They will charge you accordingly.
I have never been disappointed with what they have sent, and am happy to leave selection to their discretion, according to my stated requirements.

I have used another London-based veneer merchant, who shall remain nameless. I used him just the once.

And on a gloat-note - when I wanted a small piece of birds-eye maple for my demilune table, I went to a local furniture maker, does a lot of hotel contracts and the like, big orders for lots of the same, and CADGED (yes, free, gratis and for nothing) a piece about 250x1.5m. Good quality too. Eat your hearts out, guys.

Mind you, there are people who probably think it's knotty MDF.....

Steve Maskery":10ml8pzm said:
Our cleaning ladies are not allowed under the bed, as that is where I keep my...
Just for a split second, I worried what was coming next... :shock:

Sigh. Chipboard and pine. Deary me. I suppose, if we want decent materials to be appreciated, we all have to get out there and educate the poor downtrodden MFI/Ikea masses. Rise up, and show them quality hardwoods with decent finishes! (As a slogan, that needs a little work I fear... :wink: )

Never mind, Steve, you're among friends here. We feel the full force of that bird's eye maple veneer gloat. :cry: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info i will give them a ring.

By the way i am installing a ash kitchen for my sister and as she cannot afford to splash out too much money we are buying the carcasses from B&Q, you know the white melamine one's, and to this i am adding a front frame and doors both made from solid ash. I know that it is not the ideal way to do it but it's her first house and as i have said she cannot afford much yet.

The problem i have is with the 2 sides of the larder cabinet which is 8ft tall. I want to veneer the sides but i have never used it before and so i am looking for advice.

(1) Will i be able to get a bit of veneer to cover 8ft x 2ft in one piece? The reason i ask is most veneered furniture i have seen is always covered in a couple of pieces at least.

(2) How hard will it be to glue the veneer to a shiny surface like melamine?

(3) Should i use a contact glue?

(4) Should i use something like a J roller?

Any other tips you can give will be appreciated?

Regards

Mike

Mike.C":1gxdxyrw said:
(1) Will i be able to get a bit of veneer to cover 8ft x 2ft in one piece?
No.
(2) How hard will it be to glue the veneer to a shiny surface like melamine?
Impossible.
(3) Should i use a contact glue?
No. See answer above.
(4) Should i use something like a J roller?
Only for paint. And not on Melamine.

Sorry to be so negative, Mike, but you are barking up the wrong tree entirely. You can't do this job this way. Have you done any veneering before? If not, you should start on something smaller than an 8ft length. My first project was a 5ft headboard, and I wasted over £100 of good veneer.

Now for some constructive remarks. I would make an ash side, raised panel, and screw it to the side of the cabinet from the inside. Make the face-frame wide enough to cover both the cabinet side and the new panel. Much more do-able.
HTH
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply.

As you can see from what turned out to be silly questions no i have not used veneer before. I just thought that it would save her a bit of money, but now it seems that i would have wasted it.

I will now go down the route you mentioned

Thanks again

Mike

Back