Nice tenon saw - mini review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

You know how it is....

I walked into my favorite toolshop to ask for a new roller for my thicknesser (warranty) and got to chatting.

I have been thinking about buying a new tenon saw lately and have tried a few cheapies but hated them.
Even though I have a (very) soft spot for LN, I am not about to pay that much money for a saw!! :evil:

Well, it turns out that a new 12" tenon saw has recently come into my fav toolshop's possession. :) I have never heard of the company but am told that they are well known and respected maker of fine tools based in Sheffield.

Footprint??

Anyway I bought it for £26 (a considerable discount here for a regular customer who previously bought P/T, T5 and table saw and more from them :wink: )

The saw has a nice solid wooden handle that is very comfortable to use. Three brass screws hold the handle firmly to the blade and the blade is very well fitted into the handle with none of those 'voids' one sees with cheaper saws. The brass back is THICK and HEAVY. The blade is quite thin and the teeth are hand sharpened and re-sharpenable.
On the whole, I feel the quality of the build is reminiscent of a much more expensive and possibly older style of saw.

Now to use it!

I cut half a dozen tenons with this saw, my old Stanley 12" tenon saw, Axminster tenon saw and a japanese backed saw. Overall, the footprint cut more easily with fewer strokes than the others which I think is partly down to the heavy brass back rather than it being brand new and freshly sharpened as my Axminster has only been used 8-10 times. The faces were also left much cleaner than with any of the other saws and the kerf was nearly as thin as my dozuki.

Has anyone (Alf?) heard of 'Footprint' tools?

Here it is in it's full glory:

I highly recomend it as a quality piece of kit at a good price.

Footprint.JPG

Cheers

Tony

Good review Tony.

Looks like a nice saw. No experience of Footprint though.

Tony,

Footprint's site says they have been around since 1875. I have a couple of oldish chisels and a newish tenon saw. I can't say I like them a great deal. The saw isn't as good as an older Spear and Jackson - it seems to lack the balance and is rather coarse cutting. If I knew how to sharpen a handsaw, I would do something about it - one of these days, I will get around to it!

I would say they are probably a middle of the road brand.

Intersting Chris

I didn't think to look for a website :?

I wander if your saw is the same model as mine as your experience of it seems to differ to some degree?
Possibly the difference is down to the shaprening as they are sharpend by hand and thus will vary

I forgot to mention the balance. The saw states that it is carefully balanced but to be honest I am not enough of a craftsman to really comment on this other than to say I found it very easy t ouse

Cheers

Tony

Tony,

Here are the two saws I mentioned. I guess the Footprint is actually about the size of a dovetail saw. It is crosscut though. It also has none of the markings on the blade of your saw. I have no idea what that may signify - if anything. Perhaps it's a cheaper line? I can't remember where I got it, nor what price I paid -don't think it was a lot though.

Footprint.sized.jpg

Tony,

As yes, Footprint, formerly Thomas Ellin. A little bit middle of the road is a pretty good description in fact. I happen to have one of their panel saws, in the same style as your tenon saw. Cost me about £15 new IRRC, and not too bad. The place still has them, if you want another one of the family... :wink: I think I stoned a bit of the set off, as they always tend to be a bit overset when new. It's something that they sharpen them by hand. :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Who got four saws for 50p last Sunday, so queries the "good price" aspect of your post... :p :wink:

Alf":2c0f5zgx said:
Who got four saws for 50p last Sunday, so queries the "good price" aspect of your post... :p :wink:

Only 4? Sob. :cry: :cry:

I am quite pleasd with the saw but others seem less impressed with the brand. I guess it all comes down to experience in that this is by far the best western style saw I have used so far.

I have used various Footprint tools for years - mainly engineering tools like snips etc. They are robust, industrial quality and made to last for donkeys years. They have never been marketed with the 'glamour' of other 'big name' brands and seem to keep a low profile in the market. You'll find Footprint tools stocked more in engineering supply outlets. IMHO, some but not all of their tool range is of the best quality. Finish and presentation often distinguishes the ordinary but perfectly servicable tool from those that you can simply drool over and gloat at. Footprint come into the former category.

Importantly, it's British made stuff, rare enough indeed these days, providing jobs for local people.

Ike

I have found all this to be very interesting. I have always found Footprint tools to be a bit rubbish. Sort of cheap-ish and what I'd expect for the price. I have a couple of their saws that don't cut very well, a set square that had to be swapped over about 4 times before I found one that was actually square.
Might go and have another look at the saws now... perhaps they just need some attention?

I have a set of Footprint Spanners dating from the 1920's which my grandfather bought. I also have a set of bevel edge chisels which although not the most expensive hold their edge very well. I feel that they are not the shiniest tools but are workmanlike, reasonable value and british made :D

Bean

HI Tony, I have the same saw myself and it is the one I use the most ( have had it about 12 years), I also have 3 footprint chisels and find that they hold a very good edge ( firmers ), they may on look great but they are flat and do the job :)

I have that saw as well, always saw some bad press about footprint but liked the saw plenty, cheapish and well built me likey :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back