"Nice" Ledge and Brace gate?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I posted a couple of weeks ago to get peoples opinions on a gate surround that a customer was talking about replacing, well some of you will be happy to know it's going :(

arch 1.jpg

It's getting replaced with an arched top ledge and brace gate between two wooden posts, thing is they want it to look nice, not like they they just bought a gate from B&Q.

Apart from making the T & G boarding with a bead instead of a V groove and adding some stopped chamfers to the posts with maybe points on top I am struggling for ideas.

Anyone got any thoughts or pictures to inspire me, they don't want to spend too much but want something nice :rolleyes:

Thanks, Doug

If it isn’t to be painted how about oak with those big black square headed nail thingies. Horrible but it might appeal how about a heart cut through the door. Or an inset bull’s-eye glass pane in a "nice" frame, I see where you’re coming from it’s not easy is it. I presume the arched top of the door is to match the existing brick arch? Presumably the posts are set behind the brickwork, so then the door must be set behind the posts it’s all quite thick isn’t it? Ian
Just re read, the white arch is going. Doh! Is the door to open inwards or outwards? How about continuing the posts over to form an arch, it might be nice but it won’t be cheap!

It's hard to avoid the "bought it from B&Q" look because the stuff in B&Q and the like is pretty much how a quintessential gate or door should look.

What kind of arch are you going to put on it? Just a straightforward single curve like the original frame or a Gothic/Lancet type of arch? Like Cabinetman I'd suggest a little peephole, perhaps a nod to the older architecture with something like four circles intersecting a central circle (I'm not sure what the name for this detail is) which would be quick and easy to punch out with a drill with a holesaw or large spade bits. Here's an example:

gothic_tracery_ogee_carved_stone_cathedral_tortosa-614038.jpg!d

Yeah, just punch it out with a drill and a holesaw as Trevanian suggested, easy peasy no sweat whatsoever ha ha
Hell Adrian you really know your stuff don’t you. And I was a choirboy, but I didn’t know that!

I'd just do what they ask, but try and improve upon a B&Q type gate by using real joinery, as in motise and tenons for the ledges and braces and shiplap for the slats, if you want to go really traditional then use handmade cut nails made by a blacksmith for the braces, it will allow for more movement than screws, I prefer the screws with plugs look though,

here's a couple of inspiring doors for the arches by Gaudi:

Attachments

• F5N3RK.jpg
    F5N3RK.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 9
  • GDF03D.jpg
    GDF03D.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 9
I made this about 18 months ago. I’m not holding it out as a perfect specimen (I didn’t really use proper joinery), but I think the wood makes it look a little bit more special than something you’d buy from B&Q.

I think the wood is what will make it look good.

AC722E5D-9034-4AD0-BD4B-2718F2CA55BE.jpeg

6A4C7AA4-3316-4AAD-A00F-DACE63D391B3.jpeg

Thanks for all the ideas chaps and some nice looking gates there.

As nice as Oak would be I don't think it will be within budget, also the plan is to paint it white to match everything else.

I think as suggested I will be drilling a few holes in the gate, I have done it before on airing cupboards and boiler house doors etc, normally in a kind of diamond pattern which looked quite authentic. The house in question does overlook the village church so I might suggest a Quatrefoil :cool:

I think the other thing that really improves the look is decent ironmongery so will be going for a nice chunky ring latch.

Thanks again guys.

this is left field of the wood aspect but handmade hinges latches straps etc in iron can make a gate look a million dollars. my other favourite is using locinox gate hardware ( French stainless access hardware) for that you would need 90-100mm stiles. but it rids you of all the (cheap looking)hardware tat needed on many gates.

Back