Nice dovetail marker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sxlalan":y4t8qhyo said:
These almost worked for me. You could flip them over and get the complementary angle from the same side of the board which was nice. The only problem was (as Alf alludes to) the straight section generally wasn't long enough to mark the 90° line across the end of the board.

This is the product I use BUT I wish Veritas had put a deeper 90 degree extrusion at the top and bottom (upto 3/4") it would then be perfect for me.

Derek,

I like Woodjoy's tools. I have their cutting gauge and while it's not perfect, I like how unique it is and it performs well.

I'll probably pick up one of their precision dovetail markers even if I make one of my own -- one can never have too many gadgets in the woodshop. :)

Derek: I notice there is a double line on the r/h tail

Woody

Isn't that interesting... well, slightly embarrassing. Long story cut short: about 14 months ago, shortly after getting the Woodjoy dovetail marker, I used it to mark out the drawers for a pine and jarrah chest for my (then) 11 year old son. This was a project that was entirely build by hand, mind you, but my concentration definitely slipped along the way, and I mis-marked the dovetails. There were half blind dovetails on the drawer faces and through dovetails at the rear. I cut all the drawers together after building the carcass:

image028.jpg

I only noticed the boo-boo at the end. Actually, it didn't look too bad, and it still produced a strong joint, so I just left them the way they were:

image036.jpg

The finished chest looked quite good and all joints and fittings have remained true. Here is another picture of the drawers:

image040.jpg

And here is a picture of the completed chest:

image039.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Very nice work Derek!

Was the string on the doorknob to help with loose teeth? ;)

Was the string on the doorknob to help with loose teeth?

Thanks Dave. The string!! That kid was into tying string onto everything - his "booby traps"! It broke my heart to see the jarrah doors covered in posters, but it was (is) his bedroom and so I just left it all in place. :roll:

Regards from Perth

Derek

Greetings to all,
Derek, I have always liked the warmth exuded by that chest. Really very evocative of what it feels like to be a kid growing up. Not to mention it really holds a lot of stuff. Which is an idea that sometimes gets lost in modern art furniture.
On the original idea of the jig.....May I start with a question: Is there any consensus in the UK as to 'tails first' or 'pins first'? The original photo of the gauge illustrated a 'pins first' approach. Now, if the gauge had been shown marking the tails board, the 'running off the edge' issue probably would not have arisen, because the tails could be marked at either end with the gauge fully supported on the board.
Now I like to go tails first. And one of the advantages of going tails first is that you can gang the tails for sawing--for example, gang both drawer sides, or 4 drawer sides for that matter, if you have a pair of similar drawers. Is this a typical practice in the UK? I find it makes sawing more accurate, because of the longer reference lines across the end grain of the ganged boards. I'll try to post photos if there is interest.

Wiley

Wiley Horne":3tv1bn4w said:
...May I start with a question: Is there any consensus in the UK as to 'tails first' or 'pins first'? Wiley
Any other board I would say this thread could require popcorn...

Ah heck, think I'll go pop some up.

Take care, Mike

Alf":2z0lt68s said:
Wiley Horne":2z0lt68s said:
Is there any consensus in the UK as to 'tails first' or 'pins first'?
Of course; there's only one way to do it after all.

Cheers, Alf :-# :wink:

Of course there's only one way to do it . . . the way that you're most comfortable with.

Mike, can you pass the popcorn?

I'll go tap the keg . . .

... one of the advantages of going tails first is that you can gang the tails for sawing--for example, gang both drawer sides, or 4 drawer sides for that matter, if you have a pair of similar drawers. Is this a typical practice in the UK? I find it makes sawing more accurate, because of the longer reference lines across the end grain of the ganged boards.

Hi Wiley

Thanks for the kind words - I think I have done those pics to death! (But finally I know where the "boo-boo" dovetails began! Nice pickup Woody.

To your question: In Oz this is not usual practice I suspect, simply because I posted this method on the local forum several months ago, and it appeared to confuse all. Obviously I agree with you since it is what I do (now, that is, not when the above pics were taken).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek:

Show those Americans your shoulder cutting jig. (As we are on dovetails)

I wouldn't be without mine. I even use it on tenons.

MikeW":23yn0osq said:
Wiley Horne":23yn0osq said:
...May I start with a question: Is there any consensus in the UK as to 'tails first' or 'pins first'? Wiley
Any other board I would say this thread could require popcorn...

Ah heck, think I'll go pop some up.

Take care, Mike

Do you read fark.com perchance, or is that reference more common that I thought?

BugBear

Back