Nice but I’m not paying that,

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was missing a piece how I thought it worked - thanks for the drawing.

Searching around for "adjustable gate hinges" you can find some on Toolstation/Amazon, oddly Screwfix don't have them. Another option though.

My bench build won't be till the end of the year - so I'll throw my "Bodgecrafted" seat attempt in then and submit it. Given these brackets are fairly cheap I've nothing to lose.

Your diagram is a good start. A second hinge for the support would make it plenty sturdy. Youtube has videos of these gate hinges and they look like they can take a mighty weight.

I'm not convinced at all by the plywood version earlier in the thread - but even the bloke said the same.

I made a set of gate pins a few weeks ago that would be perfect. Still dont see the point in the seat, but my workshop is a bit tight for the style.

I was missing a piece how I thought it worked - thanks for the drawing.

Searching around for "adjustable gate hinges" you can find some on Toolstation/Amazon, oddly Screwfix don't have them. Another option though.

My bench build won't be till the end of the year - so I'll throw my "Bodgecrafted" seat attempt in then and submit it. Given these brackets are fairly cheap I've nothing to lose.

Your diagram is a good start. A second hinge for the support would make it plenty sturdy. Youtube has videos of these gate hinges and they look like they can take a mighty weight.

I'm not convinced at all by the plywood version earlier in the thread - but even the bloke said the same.
At the bottom of the gallows arm would be another one of those hinge pins and a hole drilled through the arm at the correct angle, to drop onto it. I was considering whether to put a piece of 22mil copper tube in the hole internal diameter is about 20 mil so wouldn’t be too bad a fit, maybe a couple of blocks glued on to help support the seat but that’s about it really. Total cost not a huge lot at all. Ian

Reminds me a bit of a wishbone suspension arm.

Iron pipe and pipe fittings?

Could you cut up an old bike frame and get the steel you need 🤔
the first Reynolds 853 swing out shop stool?
I'm guessing it's the welding that presents the problem with steel rather than the steel itself. even if you cut the headtube, toptube and down tube off a bike (kids bike, don't waste a good one) you'd still need to weld a set of pins to the end to attach it to the bench.

now, wheres that 10" kids bike, mwah ha ha ha. no, no, I don't need one, butttttttttt.

I reckon you could keep the main triangle of the frame, drop the seat post into the head tube and drill through crank carrier in line with the frame. After that fit two eye bolts to the bench spaced to fit the bike frame, then drop a long bolt through from the top, no welding required. Might not be pretty though

Nice idea but fixing permanently to a bench assumes you always want to sit in the same place.

A better solution may be to install a number of hinge points around the workshop with the seat and arm kept on a wall mounted bracket to be used where and when required.

Attachments

• 61dWh2t2u3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61dWh2t2u3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 4
Shops selling stuff for disabled people have seats that fold down for people to sit on in the shower. Maybe something like that could be used as is or with some modification.

Latest posts

Back