Nice but I’m not paying that,

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabinetman

Established Member
Reaction score
https://www.benchcrafted.com/swingawayseat
5A3FBEDD-88DF-477B-91FE-1CE197780F4F.png

I can see it might be quite handy to get down level with things, so gentlemen and ladies, I don’t do metal particularly so using something like these gate parts what can we come up with as a low cost solution
94CE1A18-9D69-4A40-BBE3-E38715C88B42.png
5F99D549-417C-4514-B1C3-B285775CC14B.png

It’s fairly obvious it’s going to need something like a gallows arm down to another pivot point, that’s where I’m coming a bit unstuck really. Ian

Make the brace in timber. Doesnt have to be all steel and if you use 2 brackets, the timber can sit in between.
Or something like that

Ha ha yes, it’s the " or something like that" bit isn’t it.
I’ve worked out how to do it but I want to hear what everybody else has to say in case there is a much simpler way.

I like the gate hinge idea so how about 2 hinges and a triangular plywood swinging arm with the seat on the end. Likely have to laminate a couple of 18mm bits. That should be strong enough. Any of the lift off gate hinges would do.

Merriway BH06853 Gate Hinges Heavy Duty Hook & Band Cranked Necked Black 400mm Pack of 2 (16 Inch) (16") : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
Dammit got me thinking about one now.
Regards
John
Hi John, yes that could work, I hadn’t thought of plywood I was just going to use some 2” square oak, I shall draw it up quickly soon just to show the idea. Looking forward to seeing yours if you do it. Ian

a voila, heres one someone else made early. :)

Thanks for that, interesting! But I think he knows as well as I do that that top swivel won’t last as long as he wants it to. Gate hinges are the way to go I think, unless of course you are a metal worker. Cheers Ian

What is the purpose of these seats? To look cool? Swiss army knife principle.

What is the purpose of these seats? To look cool? Swiss army knife principle.
Well as it shows on the Benchcrafted video they can be used when you want to get up close cutting joints. Personally I want it for when I’m having a break! It’s when I usually pick up my iPad to look on here. Ian

Standard field gate hinges and a gallows bracket should do the trick.

I like the idea but my bench ain't heavy enough 🙄

A wooden bike saddle. :LOL: Im used to firm saddles and after a few hours in them they do get a tad uncomfy. I wouldnt like to sit in that for any length of time :LOL:

10/10 for hipsterness
One of the lines I made was a foldable saddle stand and with a horse saddle on the top it is so comfortable it’s wonderful I have it in the workshop sometimes, but it wouldn’t work for this.

Well as it shows on the Benchcrafted video they can be used when you want to get up close cutting joints. Personally I want it for when I’m having a break! It’s when I usually pick up my iPad to look on here. Ian

Ahh....I've learned something!! I saw some tiny house thing on netflix (not by choice, my daughter things they're great) and they'd put some of these fold out seats next to a wall table. I thought maybe jameel was starting to offer things that go in the house, but now see that these are to be stuffed on a bench and used as a seat.

I'm a huge fan of sitting while chopping halfblinds (you can pretty much turn it into a rhythmic leisure activity), but these things look to be about the same height as a saw bench and my poor man's saw bench has always worked (for no additional cost.

If someone has no stools or no saw benches, then I think it's a good time to make a saw bench (such things are also good for some mortising work, etc - you can sit on the wood and sit over the joint and look straight down) - the idea of a cast seat flipping out from the bench seems like a nest builders kind of thing.

(nest builders being the type who are always looking for the next thing to build into their shop, but they're building their shop and not building things intended to leave it).

I figured these would be all over etsy because of the tiny house shows, and they are, but it also appears that most of them are marketed toward woodworkers and welders (The ones thrown together with a fold out table on whatever the tiny house show was looked destined to be damaged or cause damage, but most of the tiny house things I've ever seen - when they first came around about 10 years ago on youtube, resulted in someone building the tiny house, finding out they couldn't live in it and selling it. So a lot like the workshop nest building.)

Nest building? Oh dear I do hope not, you’ve almost put me off the idea Dave! I’ll be having a display wall of planes next ha ha
Now that is definitely an American thing!

A wooden bike saddle. :LOL: Im used to firm saddles and after a few hours in them they do get a tad uncomfy. I wouldnt like to sit in that for any length of time :LOL:

10/10 for hipsterness
still more comfortable than a pineapple brooks. no matter how many hours I put in to one of them it always hurt.

Interesting thread.

These bolts from Screwfix though - I've never fit anything like this before. Assume from your first post that you'd have a couple of the pins mounted on the leg of your bench which is easy.

Curious how the bolts attach?

Regarding the gallow brackets they are £90 and don't appear to have holes in the right place as a starter.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hardware-solutions-field-gate-hook-90-x-330-x-50mm/107cc
This seat sums up my thoughts on Benchcrafted hardware. Brilliant, but surely overpriced. Don't mind paying for quality but if I got this in addition to their vices I'd spend over a grand alone. I've gone the other route.

Interesting thread.

These bolts from Screwfix though - I've never fit anything like this before. Assume from your first post that you'd have a couple of the pins mounted on the leg of your bench which is easy.

Regarding the gallow brackets they are £90 and don't appear to have holes in the right place as a starter.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hardware-solutions-field-gate-hook-90-x-330-x-50mm/107cc
This seat sums up my thoughts on Benchcrafted hardware. Brilliant, but surely overpriced. Don't mind paying for quality but if I got this in addition to their vices I'd spend over a grand alone. I've gone the other route.
You might find that the eyelets go on the wall or pillar and the bolts go through the gate stile.

Interesting thread.

You drill a hole through the end of the top rail – probably 2 x 2 oak and then make a mortise from the side to hold a large washer and the nut, bit like a staircase joint, the gallows bracket is also made out of 2x2 Oak and is fitted into an angled housing so that the more weight that is put on the seat the tighter it gets.
Yes I agree with your thoughts, I’m sure I could get things made as a one off at my local engineering firm for less.
BD42BD54-7118-4EFF-A7A4-D29743061412.jpeg

Last edited:
Back