Nice Box, I'm gonna break it!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been given this lovely box

100_0275.JPG

more pics here:

http://www.wizer.co.uk/gallery2/v/Wood/cbox/

Rough Dimensions: 60cmx30cmx40cm

It is the box that a jeraboam of Cristal chapagne comes in. It looks like it's made out of beech to me and is really well made with hidden hinges, rounded over and chamfered lid. The inside is unfinished and has a leather strap fastener. I have access to at lead 20 of them and the possibilty of getting a regular supply of them (about 2-3 a week). For the past dozen or so years these have been thrown away once the champagne has been consumed!

Lovely as they are I am putting on my 'Le Salvager' hat and trying to think of ways to recycle them. It seems to me the wood is valuable and can be reused in other projects. That's about as far as I got...

Any inventive ideas out there? Best ways to break the wood down into manageable pieces?

[/img]

well they don't fit in the beer fridge! :eek:ccasion5:

corrie was boring so I got the hammer out :shock:

100_0281.JPG

Wizer:

I've got an 8ft length of 10x2" length of construction timber (a la Skip) and I'll make a swap for equal quantity of timber. :)

Seriously though I would have been pleased to do a deal with you if you were closer.
Perhaps my son in law down at Dover can pay a visit.

Good score Wizer :)

Looks like you've got a ready supply of almost-dimensioned timber for a lot of small projects. As for other ideas, there's a famous Devon-based needlework case you might copy :).

Or an apothecary's cabinet?

A few of the smaller bits could be laminated as blanks for tool handles, or used for various designs of drawer handles. The long sides should provide for an endless supply of winding sticks. And a couple of the boxes would be just about perfect for a chisel case/stand I'm currently pondering.

Tom,
beech is the wood of choice for making children's toys with that scrollsaw of yours.

Andy

Thanks for the offer DW but I think i'm going to be greedy and keep most of this stuff... :twisted: :wink:

Good idea Andy... Just need some kids now.. :-k

Lots going on at the moment so I think we're going to store as many as we can and think about it later on.

Latest posts

Back