Nice bit of Elm...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi guys
bit of advice needed.

I thought I'd have a go at selling a couple of things I'd made (the house is rapidly filling up with lumps of wood....)
So, Im going to launch a little website, just to see if there's any interest really. Problem is I have no idea at all about pricing.

here's a link to the site:
http://www.woodenherts.co.uk

Click on the bowls button.

Not much on there at the moment, but how much do you think I could charge for the bowls?
I'm not looking to make much profit, just be nice to sell something!

Also, I would welcome any comments on the site itself - be honest, I shan't take offence.

Hi
My first split second reaction to the site was that it very nice. Impressive. A nice simple clear welcoming design.
That elm bowl is lovely too!

Can't help with price as I know nothing about turning!

roohster":8zq1b6l0 said:
Not much on there at the moment, but how much do you think I could charge for the bowls?
I'm not looking to make much profit, just be nice to sell something!

Also, I would welcome any comments on the site itself - be honest, I shan't take offence.
The site: crisp and clean appearance, simple to navigate - everything "above the fold." So far, so good.

The bowls: regarding bowl pricing, it depends upon a couple of things. Firstly, dimensions - difficult to tell currently, but I'd guess around 200mm diameter by 60mm tall? Obviously, price should increase proportionally as the dimensions increase.

Secondly, materials costs - were these turned from purchased blanks, or from another source (e.g. timber that you prepared). Don't forget about finishing costs, electricity, tool wear, etc.

Assuming that you're not going to make a living from this, I'd probably start by doubling my costs as a rough guide. HTH

Ray.

Thanks for the constructive comments about the site (all my own work...another hobby)
The bowls on there at the moment are about 7" x 3" ...sorry don't do millimetres!
I was thinking perhaps £25 - £30, including postage, bearing in mind p&p will cost me around a fiver.

Hello Roohster

The site is to my liking. Simple and stright foward.
The bowls are lovely.

I am afraid that I am in the sme boat with Aragorn (Can't help with price as I know nothing about turning!)

Good luck on the sellings :D
Travis

Travis Byrne":3h7xq99t said:
I am afraid that I am in the same boat with Aragorn
Hey, it's nothing to be afraid of!! I can row reasonably well :wink: :wink:

Hi Roohster

Site looks good so far but did you know you have a "wobby edge elm bowl" on the bowls front page instead of a "wobbly" one?

I'm afraid as far as pricing goes I'll be taking up a thwart alongside Travis & Aragorn :lol:

Hope it goes well

Very nice site indeed! Congratulation.

Your pieces are very nice too and I would love to help you with pricing but I know nothing on ongoing prices for such pieces in the UK. The type of objects you are selling would go (without postage) for about 25 Euro here. The first pieces you will sell will probably be below total costs (without counting your time), but then customers will be more frequent, demand will increase, so will your prices (while you will continue to improve your turning and to produce more and more artistic pieces).
My advice… start low which will give you some money to buy some nice wood too.

your bowls are very nice and will be easy to sell. selling on the web is quite difficult from yuor own webpage as it requires people to visit your page as opposed to the other thousands of woodturners out there, and then they have to like your stuff enough to buy it. also as previously mentioned it is quite difficult to get a good idea of size and feel of a piece from a photo. i also have a website for bowls etc check it out at
www.geocities.com/tulipwoodcrafts
i generally have no problem selling my stuff, but over the web i sell very little, what it does do is advertise your stuff, provide an example for people to see and people may then call to you to buy in person.
for the price range you are talking ther are plenty of craft fairs etc going on where your bowls will sell well, to me they are the right size, shape, design and price that from my experience people buy at local craft fairs.
congratulations on your bowls and good luck with your website.
ps : if you dont already have a business card get a few made up - and make sure your web address is on it. evryone that you find yourself telling that you are a woodturner give them the card - tell them about your gallery - it will really help promote your site.

There's a few more things on the site now..and I've sold a bowl! (cheers Aragorn!)
Hopefully over the next week or two, I'll get some prices on everything and see how it goes.
Thanks again to everyone for the advice and comments.

roohster":2o5bf2ax said:
There's a few more things on the site now..and I've sold a bowl!.....
CONGRATULATION
Here for the first sold piece we use to drink Champagne :D
By curiosity what was then the selling price?
all my wishes for a 1000 more :wink:

Rooster,

I cannot help you with prices, but

A very nice web-site, which program did you use - Frontpage??

I hope you will be successful in selling,

ps have you listed your web-site in any search-engines

McLuma

McLuma... I used Dreamweaver to create the site, going to start the search engine submission this weekend...

La Truciolara, sold the first one for £25
:)

Back