NiCd versus NiMh?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartpaul

Established Member
Reaction score
Yet more expense as the hitachi batteries bite the dust!! :(

Shame really as the drill is still in reasonable nick but at £70+ a shot for new ones (batteries that is) I reckon its new drill time. :D

I've been looking around and searching in here and Makita seem to come out well in a few peoples opinions but I'm left wondering if another NiCd is the way to go?

Unfortunately (!!) Axminster white do what appears to be a reasonable drill with NiMh which I know are better batteries (no memory effect which is what I think has b*ggered these). Its also quite a lot cheaper than any Makita and I am a tight git!!

So, - NiMh or NiCd that is the question?

Good NiMh on a potentially rubbish drill or not so good NiCd on a much better drill?

You ask these people how much it would cost to re cell the old battery. I have never used them, but my brother in law did and was pleased with the results.

hi, i just bought the makita 6280 which comes with 3 batteries for £100.

I'm not sure on the battery type but it's a really good drill and totally good enough for general workshop use. I'm just ordering 2 extra drill bodies to up the drill count to 3.

Andy

Stuart,
are you sure you cannot take the battery pack apart & replace the cells within. You may have to tape the pack back together and do some soldering but it is worth a try if you are going to throw the drill away.

I bought replacement batteries from http://www.strikalite.co.uk and they even sorted out my charger after I wired up the batteries the wrong way around :oops:

Andy
edit I've just noticed that they will strip your battery pack and replace the cells for you. http://www.strikalite.co.uk/contact.asp

Please, please try to get your old batteries recycled :D rather than just tipping them in the bin :evil: . Whoever supplies the new batteries might be able to do it, or if not B&Q once claimed that they would take in any old batteries for recycling (although I've no idea whether or not they actually would).

Cheers Dod

If you use a good brand with an intelligent charger then you don't get memory effect, even with NiCd's. It's all down to how they're charged. Also you get an average charge cycle of 1000-2000 charges from NiCd, NiMH will give a max charge cycle of 800 charges.

Back