Ni Cad drill battery.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's any consolation at all Kittyhawk, I agree with you (about QUOTE: Modern marketing is environmentally destructive and it sucks. UNQUOTE:) 110%!

The battery domestic vacuum cleaner that I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread was the perfect example - it was well engineered to allow you to easily change battery packs. Ours failed (just out of warranty, natch!) and eventually I got through to the European importers. Their response to any warranty claims was to scrap the old vacuum cleaner complete, and replace it with a new. They'd run out of new units, so couldn't help me with mine, even if it had still been within the warranty. And they couldn't get any new units - and never got just the battery packs - from China (where else)!

I read up on making a new battery pack myself and just didn't fancy it due to the potential fire dangers and was NOT going to buy or make a spot welder. REALLY annoying, and just as you say, environmentally destructive.

I always bought Bosch equip......but suffered the same as u, tools failed just outside warrenty.....
what narks me the most as most was made /assembled in China and charged at the norm Euro prices....
The last straw was the Bosch washing machine.....
14months old and the main wash type selector switch died.....
the new switch was 75% the cost of a new machine.....Bosh didn't wanna know warrenty wise.....
All the rest of the white goods in our house was Bosch, they didn't take so long to cr@p out.....
so we'll never buy Bosch anything again....
A good friend in the white goods business said only buy Bosch that says MADE IN GERMANY
cos that the best....!!!!!!!
Now we just buy what ever seems to be mid road in price and qual white goods and here in Crete that means Chinese I'm afraid.....
as for batt tools I now only buy Milwaukee....

I always bought Bosch equip......but suffered the same as u, tools failed just outside warrenty.....
what narks me the most as most was made /assembled in China and charged at the norm Euro prices....
the new switch was 75% the cost of a new machine.....Bosh didn't wanna know warrenty wise.....
All the rest of the white goods in our house was Bosch, they didn't take so long to cr@p out.....
so we'll never buy Bosch anything again....
A good friend in the white goods business said only buy Bosch that says MADE IN GERMANY
Now we just buy what ever seems to be mid road in price and qual white goods and here in Crete that means Chinese I'm afraid.....
as for batt tools I now only buy Milwaukee....
Interestingly, and off topic I'm afraid...
There is a French bicycle parts company called Zefal and they make a little helmet mounted rear view mirror that I like very much. I bought one in Germany whilst cycle touring but it got beaten up on the airplane on the way home. So I bought another identical Zefal one here in NZ and it was a piece of rubbish. The stalk holding the mirror was so weak and flexible that I had to reinforce it with a piece of wire held on with heatshrink.
Apparently Zefal supply Europe/North America from their factory in Switzerland and the Asia/Pacific region from their factory in China.

Last edited:
I would buy a makita 18v li_on
My first li_on makita drill lasted maybe 3.5 to 4 years ( trade user ) and the 3x 3ah batteries are just about dead now ( just over 10 years later!!! )
You can get 'starter deals' which give you 2x 5ah batts, charger and drill. I would get one of those and whilst it costs more, it'll be better in the long run....

I have couple of times got replacement batteries on line. Ebay in fact. Way less cost than branded batteries. In the case of the triton drill and driver set I had to get a charger as well but its better than what the triton branded charger was. Came with a free torch/worklight too. You also have option to get longer amp hour batteries. Bying the brand name would not have been worth it. There is a bit of research as to what is compatible but the better sellers have that info for you.
Regards
John

I had 3 12v Bosch drills with 6 batteries and all the batteries died. They were sold and replaced by 2 18v Ryobi NiCad which lasted longer but failed. Now all my cordless stuff is 18v Milwaukee and both the batteries and all the tools are brilliant.

Don't worry, the batteries on those will fail in time, too o_O I average somewhere around 5 to 6 years out of my Makita Li-Ion 18 volt batteries (I know because I write the bought date on them) which seems fairly average for trade use. At the end, they are either well down on run time or just stop working. Talking to other tradesmen that seems a fairly average life for a battery pack in our environment

...........A good friend in the white goods business said only buy Bosch that says MADE IN GERMANY
Going back 40 years, we we’re looking for a new washing machine, my wife wanted bosch so we went to a large warehouse with many different brands. I looked at some cheaper ones, same spin speed, stainless steel drum etc. My wife’s comment was ”feel the knobs/dials” this was then followed by “if they cannot make the bits you can see properly there is no chance the bits you cannot see are made properly”. I had no reply, we bought the bosch (made in germany) and it was fantastic, lasted many years, was on most days with children and terry nappies.

A bit OT, I recently watched a YouTube video by a guy who repairs white goods for a living. He did a review and partial strip down of a British-made washing machine (Ebac - this one here) which was specifically designed to be repairable, e.g. having an accessible circuit board made with higher quality components and having a drum design which allowed for bearing replacement (try that on a Zanussi, Bosch or Siemens - when the drum goes it's curtains). Bit of an eye opener in terms of what we get these days in white goods. By way of comparison comparison my mum bought a Hotpoint Empress washing machine in the 1950s which lasted more than 40 years with nary a screwdriver going near it (it weighed a ton, though). I can't see most of the current crop of washing machines lasting much more than 7 or 8 years, if that, partly because they seem to have built-in obsolesence

Edit: Not the original video and made by Ebac, but they aren't shy of saying their design is better, here

Last edited:
job n knock,
we rent our house in the summer, for around 8months.....
nothing is treated well.....u know, they put the washing machine on for 1 bath towel kinda thing.....
So if a washing machine lasts 3 years (the warranty here is 2 years as standard) and/or is an easy fix, I'll fix it, but after that it's binned...
it's getting so that we buy a spare new machine when on offer just in case....
I have new one on a pallet ready to go now......
cant afford upset tourists can u.....!!!!!!!!
our old washer is a Samsung, there are a few design floors but it eats bearings...always got them in stock.....shame is the screw holes that hold it alltogether are getting done now.....it been apart that many times....hahaha.....
Kittyhawk....
cant u order a mirror thingy from Amazon Germany.....?
or perhaps a memeber in France can send u one direct....
I left there 2 years ago or I'd do it.....sorry....

I wonder if the 'right to repair' legislation will change anything? It should mean parts availability for 10 years for all appliances, and service info too, but only for 'professionals'.

I dread to think how many things I've had to chuck because of one small but vital plastic part when the supplier only imports boxes without any parts backup.

Further to the dramas with my Bosch 12v cordless drill...
I decided to keep the tool and so pulled out the cells in a dead battery, drilled a hole in the base of it and soldered in 3m of heavy gauge 2 core cable. I attached the wires to the battery's terminals in preference to the drill's terminals so I could still use it as a cordless in the off chance of a good battery coming my way.
Connected to a car battery the drill runs well but is a bit stinky with a this-is-not-good electrical type smell. I also have a 12v laboratory grade power source that puts out 13.4v/8 amps. With this the drill is sluggish to start and lacks power. So I don't know what's going on here. According to what I read, 8 amps should be enough.

This might sound daft and I might be talking out of my ...... but have you got the positive and negative round the right way when connected to the power supplies - they will be brushed motors maybe they could run in reverse but with less power??
Please ignore my reply if someone comes along in a minute and says my note is carp

Tag ended Nicads are available from Battery Plus here:

https://www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/AA_1300mAh_NiMH_Tagged_Battery.html
For my money, when the existing battery have run their distance, its time to consider that the drill is ‘electronic waste’ and buy a drill which uses LiOn batteries, which have a better discharge profile and a very low discharge rate.

I’ve ditched several nicad-powered cordless drill over the years. One of the downsides is that if you use the drill infrequently, the batteries self-discharge so before I could use it, I’d have to recharge it.

I do have a Makita cordless drill with two LiOn batteries, bought for me as a gift. The self-discharge rate is very low - at least two months. I can just pick it up and use it. I could never do that with nicads.

Cordless tools are fine for site work or in inaccessible places such as loft spaces, but at home, I prefer to use a corded drill, if need be, with an extension reel. More ‘oomph’ too.

There are now lots of cordless tools where you can get several items and just use one battery. Drill, circular saw, impact driver etc). That way, when the battery is past its best, the replacement cost per tool is far cheaper.

Just my thoughts.

Back