next table saw -

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ex-71

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for my next table saw. It is, initially, to help me with renovation of our 'new' house, produce kitchen units etc., but hopefully will also see me through the next 2-3 years to produce reasonable furniture
My last saw was a Fox unit, much like the Ryobi 1526 I suppose, what I refer to as a 'throw away' unit, because after using it to renovate a kitchen it was thrown away - totally knackered.
This thing frightened the living whatsits out of me every time I started it up, had a totally rubbish fence and the motor mounts skewed over in a way I was not able to sort out.
So - I have looked at the Axminster TS-200 as being a possible on recommendation from these hallowed pages, but what would be the next up the food chain. As the TS-200 is some £420, what would I need to spend for the next rung of the ladder. Throwing away £420 after a kitchen refit doesn't seem to be economic sense.

I'd say the next step up is to look at a saw with a 10" blade, such as the Charnwood W650, Record TS200C or Axminster AW10BSB2. All of which you're pretty much looking at doubling your budget, unless you look second hand

I have the Axminster TS200. Very pleased with it. I have had it about 6 months. I am building a small ash table at the moment. It has cut the taper on the legs and cut the tenons on the rails with no problem and accurately. Have to say that it has gone up in price since I bought mine.

Mick.

OK, have sat and mulled it over. The TS-200 has been rejected because of the depth of cut and therefore it will have to be an increase in budget.
I have just (last 2 weeks) moved to Pembroke, Wales. Does anyone on this forum know the area/suggest somewhere I could have a look at Jet/SIP/Record table saws?

Ta

steve

While I'm sat here typing;
has anyone got a heavy(ish) table saw on suspended wood floor, do you experience any bounce?
Have just taken up a rotten suspended floor, from what will be my workshop, and shall renew with 100 x 75 oak joists at 300 centres with double joists bolted together where I anticipate machinery will stand. Floor covering to be 22mm chipboard with area of double thickness under machinery.
Anyone caution against such a plan?

steve

Welcome to wales Steve, yes to both your questions.
Timberman near Carmarthen should be able to help on saws, but give them a call as they hold exhibitions on occasion.
I have the SIP 10 CI saw on 18mm OSB, any bounce would be determined by the support, or lack og it, underneath.

Roy.

There's another shop in Cardigan Steve where I buy from, I didn't mention them 'cos they are a small family shop with limited stock and you can never tell what they have.
So I called in this morning to have a look, nothing of quality, but they can get what ever you want, including JET.
The big advantage with them is I never pay the asking price!
I have the SIP CI jobby, if that's on your hit list and you want to call an try mine you'll be welcome.

Roy.

Thanks for the offer - not one I think you would have made if you knew my cv!!!
I have no idea of what I would tend to prefer, brother in law has the Jet and it seems to appeal to him, but I'm still open to anything (probably because I'm a tart for such things).

steve

I'll take the risk if you will! :lol:
I bought mine from the local chap. I asked the price, he told me, I went home and checked via Google for other prices, found the cheapest, went back and asked him if he wished to compete. I got £100 knocked off.

Roy.

Latest posts

Back