Next project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog

Established Member
Reaction score
As my confidence grows, 99% due to being a member of this great forum :wink: , I'm going to start making another 'chest' or 'box' depending on your point of view. This was my first ever project, as most of you have already seen:-
Dog-Chest1.jpg

Closed
Dog-Chest-2.jpg

Open
...and which I've put back in the Gallery now that I've got a decent picture host. Anyway, I enjoyed making this so much I'm going to do another one with a bevelled lid and box joints, minus drilling the 1500 woodworm holes this time around :D

Don't hold your breath but when done I'll post it as I'm sure 'laughter' is a cure for most ills :)

Thanks for the kind words Gary, I'll put the cheque in the post ;) :D Seriously though, I'm not selling myself short, in fact if I put my mind to it I could probably sell sand to an arab but I've had projects laughed at before, not on this forum though, they are all very tolerable of me and my projects :D

This project came about because I wanted an 'antique' style chest on the large size. I found lots but the cost was ridiculous and so I set about designing and building my own and as Waka rightly said in another thread, best to build it yourself. Total cost all in £85 for a 'chest' 3'x2'x19". If I could have bought what I wanted for that I would have but then I would never have discovered the overall pleasure of woodworking!

Good idea btw :)

Dog

You will always get small minded people no matter what. As you say though, not in this forum and I daresay they wouldn't be made very welcome if they appeared. I believe that anyone who puts time and effort into creating something, no matter what the outcome, is deserving of praise.
Meanwhile, if you do encounter the odd philestine on your travels, bear this in mind....
Never argue with an silly person. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience! :wink:

Ta muchly

Gary

Dog

Good looking box, I do like the way you have made it rustic, what bolts did you use to get that effect?

Keep on making sawdust,,its a great relaxer

waka

Hey dog,

thats a great box/trunk/chest, I never know what to call them either :wink:

Get a lot of bonios in there :lol:

Cheers

Signal

Gary, I never take any notice of 'idiots' but I do have a long memory ;)

Materials used in making the 'project':
Timber: Recycled Pine Floorboards sourced from when I briefly worked for a local builder who was going to burn them :shock:
Stain: Chestnut 'Golden Oak' Spirit stain x 3 coats applied with foam brushes suitable for spirit type stains.
Sanding Sealer: Screwfix 'branded' Shellac based.
Wax: Chestnut Woodwax 22 applied with 0000 gauge wirewool worked into all the cracks 'n crannies.
Polished: By hand.
Sandpaper: 80 grit all the way down to 1600, great finish, lots of 'relaxing' sawdust' ;)

Metalware:
Hinges 300mm (Mallable Iron) £6.00 pair Warehouse Direct, have since found same for £3.00 a pair Value DIY.
Studs giving the impression of 'bolt heads' Screwfix.
Handles: This was a tough one, because of the size of this project the handles I wanted were £26.00 each :shock: so I went for a pair of iron lion head door knockers from Screwfix £6.95 each. I modified them slightly to fit but saved a good few pennies ;)
The most expensive iron part was the trunk lock @ £10 but worth it to finish off the look I wanted, and it was British made too ;)

The floorboards had no woodworm so using a NuTool hobby multitool drill I drilled in the region of 1500 different sized woodworm holes. I wanted the end grain to be a feature and to stain up darker than the rest of the project and from experience of cutting through woodworm riddled timber I had remembered the look of woodworm holes when cut through exposing the channels they had created when eating through the wood. I carefully engraved these channels into the end grain to give the impression I had simply sawn through woodworm infested timber, the effect worked nicely :) To date only a few people realise this, to the discerning professional eye it would be obvious that they are fake but to the general world of those not in the know it looks believable ;)

I learnt a lot doing it and got great pleasure from it and now I'm slowly getting materials together for the next one :)

Get a lot of bonios in there, you sure can :D

I thought about that Trev before building it and soaked all timber used in woodworm killer, so all I can say is the best of British luck to 'em :D

Latest posts

Back