Next project...can anyone guess what it is

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Dalziel

Established Member
Reaction score
It was made for a surgeon....it won best of show in a woodwork competition in 1884....
I couldnt beleive what it was until i opened it...... I'm having it delivered over the next few weeks...i will try and replicate it ready for next years show

I'll let you know later

Ian
DSCF2370.jpg

Chris....slightly off mark.......think what a surgeon wood have been good with way back then???

Off every one on ukw i will expect you Chris to guess this one.......its rare... and something i would never have thought of a surgeon doing....but really when you think what a surgeon would be very good at....(small very sharp instruments)

no instruments of the musical kind Argee

Power tool......i suppose he did procedures on this but not of the type your thinking.

I'll post more pics after lunch and i've had a good nicotine injection

Ian

A collection of carving tools and clamps, and the top folds out to make a bench ect. :oops:

Regards

Woody

I have four guesses:
There is a vertical set of dog holes down the front right side for some form of holdfast I imagine, therefore I think its a desk at which things are made. It depends obviously on whether its for work or pleasure:

Work:

1. For surgical tool making and preparation.

2. Making prosthetic limbs

Pleasure:

1. jewellery making/ engraving.

2. Or its for fishing - fly tying etc

Hot or cold?

Cheers

Tim

I think its mahogany but could be oak with a shellac on it :lol:
Amputation table with storage for the tools of the trade .

Carving bench? I'd have guessed a lathe of some sort but there doesn't seem to be obvious access for a treadle. I suppose a surgeon might have been good at taxidermy...? :-s

Cheers, Alf

Right,
What I’ve been told is…..it was commissioned by a surgeon……it had to look like a piece of furniture as it was going to be put in a study and had to blend in with its surroundings. The surgeon was an avid woodworker and his hobby was carving and making false limbs.

It is an incredible piece of work and my photos don’t do it justice….it won best of show in 1884 for its maker a R Melhuish and sons

The top flips up….the front has a fold down door for a detachable vice (missing unfortunately) the drawers are all sectioned for different tools and chisels and the ends open up to allow for storage of longer tools ie saws etc. The top lifts up and has the most unusual tool holding clips and there is a strip along the back. The top looks as if its made with beech and has a smashing little bench dog mounted on it.

I’ll take some better photos of it when it arrives

I was supposed to be for in his study but it was moved to warmer surroundings to allow him to work at it at anytime…so I’m told

Ian

well done woody and tim

DSCF2356.jpg

DSCF2364.jpg

DSCF2362.jpg

Would that be Melhuish the plane and tool maker, I wonder?

Scrit

A very interesting piece Ian.

The dark area at the rear looks rather purposeful and at each side there appears to be some sort of spigot or boss - possibly even something to mount a workpiece between centres?

Chris":2ia64uhy said:
there appears to be some sort of spigot or boss

Or are they the holding pins to stop the lid crashing down preventing the good doctor from have to create his own prosthetic fingers!!

'Purposeful' does seem to be the right word - not the most cheery thing to have in the corner of the room. Brings a whole new meaning to 'can you give us a hand, love'.

Cheers

Tim

It is a crying shame that the vice is missing. When not making his limbs, i can just imagine the good doctor standing at his work bench, and witling away on some other carving all them years ago.

I like the way the flap folds down to allow the said vice to be fitted.

With all them drawers he must have had a lot of tools.

Regards

Woody

Scrit":xk93fhh8 said:
Would that be Melhuish the plane and tool maker, I wonder?

Scrit

Yes i beleive it was.....the plaque on it says Melhuish and sons wood and metal workers show winner 1884.

yes woody its a real pity the vice is missing...when the flap folds up you cannot see a vice slot.

Chris the dark part i presume is for storing tools...its in a well similar to cabinetmakers benchs and Tim was right the 2 little spigots you see are to hold the lid upright while working...its a very neat package.

also came across this Chris........it currently holds over 1000 beautifully preserved very early addis carving chisels.

Ian

DSCF2347.jpg

waterhead37":1197cyah said:
Ian,
Where the heck have you been?? :lol:

LOL......do you want to see more.....a few thousand more :lol:

Chris....have you ever heard of a Chris Shwartz....I have just had an interesting email from him

Ian

Back