newly varnished windows sticking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mumsandra

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on how to stop my windows sticking after they.ve been varnished / woodstained/ Cuprinol . I've kept them open for a couple of weeks ,but I'd like them to be closed soon.

Hi Sandra, and just round the corner lol, I don’t know if this is going to be the right answer, I painted an ornate/baronial curtain rail and it was a devil to get the rings to slide along it, I had some silicon gel which I smeared along the top edge and they’ve slid up and down perfectly happily for years now. I imagine it will work on your varnished windows and hopefully somebody else might agree that’s a reasonable idea in your situation. Ian

Hi Sandra, and just round the corner lol, I don’t know if this is going to be the right answer, I painted an ornate/baronial curtain rail and it was a devil to get the rings to slide along it, I had some silicon gel which I smeared along the top edge and they’ve slid up and down perfectly happily for years now. I imagine it will work on your varnished windows and hopefully somebody else might agree that’s a reasonable idea in your situation. Ian

It’s not a bad idea but only problem with that is when someone comes around to paint them again the paint/varnish won’t stick and just peel straight off once dried!

I’d just shut them, if they’ve been painted a while ago and they’ve been open the whole time the finish shouldn’t stick.

You could try rubbing some candle wax on the sticking bits it should help and be easy to clean off.

pete

Oh me me! I know! I know!

let me guess - the windows have rubber draft seals in the frame. If those draft seals get paint or oil on it simply doesn’t dry. I dunno why! Try rubbing white spirit of draft seals but we always paint and fit them only once the paint has dried so they get none on!

Back