Newly made oak windows and condensation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
No source of water vapour internally until occupied* when the heating and ventilation will usually be switched on. If not you do get massive condensation on a cold day. Try it - drive around on a cold day with windows closed and no heat on or ventilation open.

*except what was left over from previous occupancy - hence steamy windows first thing in the morning if you were out late, if there are wet things left in the car or a drunk asleep in the back.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
bugbear":1x9z1gz1 said:
...I assume this is down to the heating and ventilation (what else could it be).

Does anybody understand it in more detail?

BugBear

On most modern vehicles incoming fresh air is passed through the cold air or climate control system. This removes the moisture from the incoming ambient to a level that latent moisture in the 'cockpit' is soon dispersed.

Switch the system cold air unit off and my last 4 vehicles have misted up rapidly and only uncomfortable levels of heat directed at front screen would keep it clear.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
bugbear":212tvg0s said:
Thinking about the physics of all this, it's interesting that cars (at least modern ones) don't have loads of condensation on their windows, despite there being no double or triple glazed cars that I'm aware of, and the effect of external cold air being massively exaggerated by windchill, and the people/space ratio being far higher than a house, so more moisture do deal with.

I assume this is down to the heating and ventilation (what else could it be).

BugBear

In a modern car with aircon, the system quickly extracts moisture from the air and channels it away through a pipe underneath the car. Try it and you'll see water dripping underneath. It's very efficient but uses energy which is why the mpg is slightly worse when useing aircon.

Bob

ps - I don't think I'm angry! (hammer) I AM NOT ANGRY! (hammer) I AM DEFINiTELY NOT ANGRY (hammer) (and don't belong to a brigade either. :lol: :lol: )

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Latest news on the weep -hole front (if anybody is still interested in this fascinating topic) - I had to unblock a few this morning. Bits of building rubbish etc, (they are new) but also various insects trying to hibernate.
10mm copper. The ideal strong but bendy pipe cleaner is a length of bike brake outer cable.
Looks like it'll be a regular annual task.

John Brown

Social media influenza
Reaction score
Lons":q04zb7ki said:
bugbear":q04zb7ki said:
Thinking about the physics of all this, it's interesting that cars (at least modern ones) don't have loads of condensation on their windows, despite there being no double or triple glazed cars that I'm aware of, and the effect of external cold air being massively exaggerated by windchill, and the people/space ratio being far higher than a house, so more moisture do deal with.

I assume this is down to the heating and ventilation (what else could it be).

BugBear

In a modern car with aircon, the system quickly extracts moisture from the air and channels it away through a pipe underneath the car. Try it and you'll see water dripping underneath. It's very efficient but uses energy which is why the mpg is slightly worse when useing aircon.

Bob

ps - I don't think I'm angry! (hammer) I AM NOT ANGRY! (hammer) I AM DEFINATELY NOT ANGRY (hammer) (and don't belong to a brigade either. :lol: :lol: )
If you're going to spell definitely like that, please do it in a smaller font! :D

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
John Brown":1rtwigkq said:
If you're going to spell definitely like that, please do it in a smaller font! :D

:oops: :lol: :lol:
Quite right. I definitely suffer from clumsy finger syndrome, especially on the keyboard of my phone. My spelling is usually not too bad.

Bob