Newcastle to London in 24 hours. By bike. Sponsorship needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rileytoolworks

Established Member
Reaction score
On August 22nd 2015 I'm taking part in a Ride24 event, riding from Newcastle to London in 24 hours (hopefully!) in order to raise money for the charity, Macmillan Cancer Support (edited from previous)

I have never cycled this kind of distance before, but I have a training plan that will see me undertaking rides from now up to a few weeks before the event, culminating in training rides of over 200 miles, including overnight rides.

I realise none of us has money to throw around, especially at this time of the year, but if you can, please help me to raise money for the cause. It will not only be great for the charity, but will help to spur me on through the months of training and the ride itself.

I have set my target at £500, but I'd really like to go way beyond that.

If you can help, please visit https://www.justgiving.com/Adam-Riley300-24 to find out more.

The ride will be taking place on the 22nd August, setting off at midday from Newcastle, and cycling through the night and on into the morning, arriving in London before midday the next day!

That's all I really have to say, except thank you for reading this far, and for any help you can give.

Now, I'd better get training....

Thank you for your time.
Adam Riley.

A good training plan could be to join Audax UK.
They do rides from 50km up. 300miles is moderate. They will be rides near you and they are also worth travelling for as they are brilliant routes sorted by local cyclists.
NB it's very informal, supportive and non competitive - the whole idea is to get you out doing long distances.

Jacob":12z35znt said:
A good training plan could be to join Audax UK.
They do rides from 50km up. 300miles is moderate. They will be rides near you and they are also worth travelling for as they are brilliant routes sorted by local cyclists.
NB it's very informal, supportive and non competitive - the whole idea is to get you out doing long distances.
+1. I used to do Audaxes.

Thanks Jacob. Great minds and all that -I've joined already.
Really looking g forward to doing some long rides. Do I take it you do similar?

Adam.

rileytoolworks":2q1lhkff said:
Thanks Jacob. Great minds and all that -I've joined already.
Really looking g forward to doing some long rides. Do I take it you do similar?

Adam.
Have done a few over the years. A very enjoyable way of seeing the countryside - even local rides seem to find new routes and unfamiliar territory.
More into cycle touring - did 1000 miles approx this summer, from home to S of France. It was my grandson's ride as a fund raiser for Amnesty. Me and the wife were support - same ride, sometimes following sometimes leading, more to tell them what they could do and advise on route plans, rather than directing them entirely.
He got £2500 for Amnesty https://twowheelstwintowns.wordpress.com/

NickWelford":1tb168jc said:
Would be interesting to see the route
Yes. to the OP, if you want any help with a route please drop me a line. I have cycled from Leeds to London, from Hartlepool to Leeds and from London to Edinburgh (and back, LEL) via Co Durham so know some pretty good cycle friendly routes. I have route sheets too.

Thank you all for the comments and donations. (Keep them coming!)

I'm not sure of the route myself yet - I find out in the New Year. ( This is organised by a company called ride24)

I'll keep this thread updated with a running total, and my training so you can sponsor me with confidence that I'll give it my best.

Started off the New Year with a little hill repeat challenge this morning.
0.8 mile up, average gradient 7%, max gradient 12%.
Up and down 10 times. Total distance 14.2 miles. Total ascent 2519ft.
Not quite the Alpe D'huez, but it's a start. I know the distance is pitiful but today was more about getting out and completing a challenge.

Thanks to everyone who's donated so far. I really do appreciate it.

All the best.
Adam.

Go for it!
You'll need some distance training - for starters say 50km minimum rides with 15 kph minimum average. Do-able for a moderately fit beginner (if you have the time) and the distance is important for getting used to the bike and finding weakest links - often the saddle - it may take some miles to get you bum hardened off and you may need to try different saddles.
Then crank it up: when you can do 100km at 20kph you are getting there.
Long distance cycling is a touch masochistic - it's a lot about endurance and putting up with pain! Drugs can help; just Ibuprofen, not the full Lance Armstrong. And Germolene for the sore bits - it's anaesthetic.

The single most important safety factor is the yellow top with reflective stripes. The cheap waistcoat type are good - you can wear them on top of wet weather gear or just on your bare chest if it's warm enough

Just a quick update.
Those that sponsored already know, but the charity I was doing this for have backed out of participation in the event.
I will now be doing it for Macmillan Cancer Support, and I would still greatly appreciate your support.

Adam.

Back