NEWBIES! Join the 2012 Challenge.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
Not wanting to hijack Blisters thread...

To all you shy newbies out there that read the forum but think that they are not good enough to join in, or haven't been turning for long enough, I say JOIN THE 2012 CHALLENGE!
I only started turning earlier this year (as did many of the entrants) and by joining in, each month i have been presented with ...er ... a challenge :shock: my first candlestick, platter, egg cup, decorated bowl, item of jewellery, lidded box and still more to come :D
you can see a round up of the year so far here... competition-roundups-t48986.html and as you will note from my entries throughout the year, a seasoned professional I am not! but each month i have learnt new things and made items that i am quite proud of (and many more that i'm not, but we wont mention those :oops: ) and would never have thought of making without the challenge to prod me along.

They are a friendly bunch here on the forum and advice is always free flowing even for those 'stupid' questions you have (the reason we may know the answer is that we have asked it before or learnt the hard way #-o )

SO come on JOIN IN! it doesn't cost anything, and of course it means more time in the shed :mrgreen:

Shy newbie sounds about right for me Nev. I am definitely a little awed about joining in. My main concern is not being able to come up with anything...

drillbit":14nf71yj said:
My main concern is not being able to come up with anything...

did you look at my previous entries? :D
but seriously i found it easier to come up with something when i had some guidelines to adhere too (i.e. them rulez) you know what you need to make, roughly how big it will be etc etc then attack the timber :wink:
and if you get stumped thinking 'how do i hold this?' or 'whats the best way to do that?', thats what the forums for :mrgreen:

as a practice take one of the earlier challenges and see what you come up with (they did seem to get technically more difficult as the year went by)
(hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

Have seen a few of your entries Nev, and they ain't as bad as you make out. =D>

As a newbie meself, I'm gonna come out the shyness shadows for 2012, and my name's been sent to be added to the list.
How will I do? Anyone's guess really.
But even if my finished pieces are complete mince, I'm still bound to learn something new each month. \:D/

gerrybhoy70":h6mtejlx said:
Have seen a few of your entries Nev, and they ain't as bad as you make out. =D>
\:D/

thanks for that, its all in the photography (vaseline on the lens helps :) ) but what i was trying to get at is that they are mostly simple straightforward shapes and forms, nothing 'fancy' about them. so if you have basic tool control you're in with a shout :D

gerrybhoy70":h6mtejlx said:
As a newbie meself, I'm gonna come out the shyness shadows for 2012, and my name's been sent to be added to the list.
How will I do? Anyone's guess really.
But even if my finished pieces are complete mince, I'm still bound to learn something new each month. \:D/

=D> thats what its all about , look forward to seeing some your work (hammer) :D

Gerry and Drillbit.... You won't regret it!
It gives you something to think about when your bored, it gives you something to aim for and learn new skills. It's one of the best things I did in 2010... Join this forum and this challenge!

I've not been turning for a huge amount of time. And I feel i've progressed because of this site and challenge.

Thanks for the encouragement Melinda.

The whole idea of me entering a challenge leaves me wanting to laugh as I know there's many many people on here far better than myself. Even after years of metal turning, woodturning still throws new challenges every day.
But by entering I'll be pushing myself to try new things and, if nothing else, get better and better as I go along.

The help I've had on this forum is unbelievable.
If it wasn't for the guys on here I'd still be tearing chunks out of scrap pine and still making it look like something from a demolition site!! lol.

Even though I may not get anywhere near a podium place, bring it on & let's get into it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I don't expect ever to win a month's challenge, but i did aim for 12 points in the year... 1 for an entry each month. (granted a broken lathe put pay to that, but heyho)
keeps me out of mischief!

Could be a plan in there somewhere Melinda. lol.

Might not be a problem to me now, though.
If this doesn't heal up properly it could be time to hang up my boots n gloves.
Not all bad cos that would give me more time in the workshop. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well said Nev.

I started turning after back surgery at the end of last July. Entirely self taught, I rely on this Forum and the challenge in particular to instruct and enthuse. There is lots of help available and plenty to see to motivate you.

When this challenge started I had been turning for a whole five months. No trumpet being blown but I just won the September challenge ( :D ) after really only expecting to get the twelve points. No matter what your current skill level, you too can expect to be motivated and improve by joining in.

Another big thanks to Allen (Blister) and the judges for running this.

Back