Newbie Woodrat question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich1

Reaction score
A question for the experienced ratters. I'm going to pull the trigger this week (purchase my rat). I would like to ask about the value of a few accessories I am on the fence about. The USA website http://www.thecraftsmangallery.com offers. A laser for $118 and a Multi-angle Clamping Jig for $139.00. The price seems a little steep. What do you folks think. Are these valuable addons

I wouldn't rush to buy either, unless you are feeling really flush with the cash. In its basic form, it'll do everything you ask, and if you make an odd template or jig to go with it, you'll find you can extend its capabilities, using a few bits out the scraps bin, and save yourself plenty of $$$ for something else!

Adam

Yep, I'm with Adam on this one. Certainly play about with it a bit first before you pull the trigger on extras. Anyway, half the fun is making up solutions to these things yourself, isn't it? :wink:

Tony, you mean that's all we had to say? Rats. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Funnily enough, of all the people on the forum who i think could stretch it to its full capabilities - it'd be Tony. Coming from a slighly "mechnical" background, and being happy to make jigs and try things out - he'd be the ideal candidate for trying things out a.l.a Aldel style.

Me? Mine is still as bog-standard as the day I bought it. Even the alley guide rails sit unfitted despite having bought them 6 months ago. Problem is, I bought them on impulse as everyone raved about them, but it seems fine as it is - so why swop them on?

Adam

Hi rich1

As a Newbie ratter myself, I agree with Adam's comments although if I lived over there I might be tempted with the multi-clamp jig.

If you buy a plunge bar, make sure that you mount the top bar plastic pieces the right way round DAMHIKT :oops: (but it doesn't cure offset dovetails....still working on that!)

You'll enjoy using your 'Rat!

And if you've not thoroughly browsed Aldel's site and followed up all his links then I really recommend it.

Cheers Roger

I have visions of a new stronger, faster, greater CNC-Rat :) (could leap tall buiildings in a single bound and stop a speeding train!!)

Just need to find one within my price range and then get building those lovely Jigs :lol: :lol:

Of course, all details of CNC-Rat would be freely avaialble to forum members - goes without saying really. Don't know why I even mentioned it.......

Tony

I'm already on it! If I take one of these

unit4.gif

two of these

unit1.gif

and one of these

unit2.gif

then I reckon I'm 90% there :D

Roger

I am lucky enough to visit the US regularly and hence can bring goodies back with me, I have a multi angle jig for my rat and it's a beauty.

The laser I would say you do not need as you want to work with pencil lines and the eye, that's what makes the rat so wonderfully versatile.

They also do a handy little micro adjustable stop for about 20$ which is also useful, and even some plastic angle setters which although I do not have (you need to cut some test sticks for dovetails and then if you stick to the same dovetail cutter and straight cutter combination- the settings are always the same!) - I've heard they work well and are only 5$.

The angle plate is heavy though so the postage may kill you - get them to send it 5 week delivery by USPS is pretty cheap then - don't forget import duty though!

Well the rodent arrives tomorrow. I went with the wisdom here and went without the laser or the multiangle jig. I figure I will have enough learning to use it properly. My four year old son is verry excited that we will be getting a woodrat. I think he lost something in the definition. Boy will he be surprised when it does not have fur.

I want to thank you folks again for the input. Now it's time for lots of how to questions.

Ric

Rich

As a fellow Newbie, when you're planning where to put it, remember to have a very very convenient location to put : the spirals, star lock, button bar, centre line, aluminium guides, allen keys etc as you really do need them close to hand DAMHIKT.

Also if you're fitting a plunge bar make sure that the top plastic locators are the right way up - again DAMHIKT :oops:

Roger

Roger":1iz2cy9q said:
As a fellow Newbie, when you're planning where to put it, remember to have a very very convenient location to put : the spirals, star lock, button bar, centre line, aluminium guides, allen keys etc as you really do need them close to hand DAMHIKT.

C'mon Roger - Are you saying that your existing setup isn't very efficient?

I thought it worked fine leaving them randomly on the jointer , TS and in a box on the other side of the workshop!! :lol:

Cheers

Tim

(who's not mentioning the upside down plunge bar!)

If you stick some lumps of Blu Tack to the top of the extrusion, it makes a handy place to stick a router cutter, allen keys etc. The Blu Tack prevents vibration from shaking them off.

Latest posts

Back