Newbie with a 1/2" Headstock Spindle Problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan UK

Reaction score
Hi folks, I've recently come into possession of a basic "Concept" lathe that looks like lots of others out there. I thought at first it was like the Sealey SML350/Clarke CWL1000 and other generic similar ones. But I was mistaken.

The Sealey and the Clarke and others have 3/4" headstock spindles, and there's loads of accessories you can get. But this Concept thingy has a 1/2" headstock spindle, and there seems to be nothing I can get to fit it, not even and adapter to make it 3/4". All I have for it is a 4" faceplate - nothing else. Am I wasting my time trying to get what I need to work with it? Or do any of you know where 1/2" bits and bobs are in bounteous supply?

Thanks for your help. Sorry to be such a newbie, lol.

Last edited:
Dan , do you know what thread is? UNF , metric, BSF ?? Where are you in the U.K. ?
Send me a message with a photo of the thread , maybe I can help?
John
Thanks John, image of the thread attached. I couldn't tell you at this point whether UNF, metric or BSF, but googling found me a post somewhere which suggested it was 1/2" 12tpi. I'm in Leicestershire.

Attachments

• lathe-thread.jpg
    lathe-thread.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 27
Personally knowing what I do now I would bite the bullet and get a different lathe as you will always be chasing for bits and pieces. Also you will outgrow it so fast if the addiction realy does bite

Thanks for the feedback folks.
Personally knowing what I do now I would bite the bullet and get a different lathe as you will always be chasing for bits and pieces. Also you will outgrow it so fast if the addiction realy does bite
I'm metally prepared to do this if it comes to it. Gulp.

If you go into D Middleton stainless steel, he does a thread gauge set quite cheaply, and has very fast delivery. Then at least you will know for sure what thread it is.
Thanks. Ordered. I might as well have one anyway.

Back