newbie to site and woodwork

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Maskery":2dwku29l said:
You can see why you might want to build it up over a period of time...

It does look like a lot, but I count just under 60 individual tools, so only just over a year if you follow your father's one tool a week maxim. If you play a bit fast and loose with your definition of a tool you could probably squeeze it in under the year, e.g. a set of 4 chisels becomes 'a tool', although taking that to its logical conclusion - a job lot of tools becomes a tool. If you're prepared to take the rough with the smooth there's frequently job lots of tools to be had from auction houses where you can acquire some neglected tools for pennies on the pound.

Steve Maskery":2xdyqz6m said:
Hi Alan
You are at the start of a very dangerous slope. Turn away now! :)
When I was young and starting work, my dad gave me a bit of advice. Buy one tool every week. It doesn't matter whether it is a tablesaw or a carpenter's pencil, buy one tool a week. Now in those days there were plenty of tool shops and dad was paid weekly, so it made sense. Perhaps a little less so now. But the principle applies, decide on what you need and build up your kit regularly from that list.
For advice on exactly what to buy, that is a bit more difficult, as it depends on what you want to make, but whatever you buy, buy the best you can afford. There is something intrinsically wonderful about handling a well-made tool and you will get better results more quickly too. Learn how to sharpen your edges. Practice sawing to a line. See how thin you can make a shaving. All these are basic skill which will make your woodwork more enjoyable.

FWIW my starter kit would be:
Workmate
Combination square
Marking knife
Hardpoint saw and tenon saw, or a pair of Japanese saws
Combi Japanese water stone
Small but good quality set of chisels
No 5 plane

Other suggestions, guys?
S
PS You might find John Brown's "The Anarchist Woodworker" a good primer on kit.

thanks Steve for the info i am off to a car boot sale tomorrow hoping to get a few things thats if my kids dont try and spend all my money on toys lol

just seem Kev's posts sorry Kev nice list hoping to pick something up tomorrow (saturday) did see a miter saw for £27.00 is that worth it?

Back