Newbie saying hello

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColytonJohn

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a new forum member from Devon and feel it's only polite to introduce myself.

I've had an interest in woodworking for many years and built up a reasonable collection of tools and machinery with which I've renovated a couple of houses and made furniture and fittings for friends and family on a non commercial basis. A friend recently opened a coffee shop but was struggling with the refurbishment so I offered to lend a hand which grew somewhat and saw me make his counter, swing door, tables, benches, bookshelves, cake serving trolley and even a stand for his iPad 'till' - all at 'mates rates' (but I don't have to pay for my coffee!) :)

My preference is to work with reclaimed timer meaning my projects take on a rustic charm - no 'fine furniture' for me; just items that have that nice lived in patina of age straight out of the workshop :)

I have two workshops adjoining each other. The main one houses my radial arm saw, router table, jointer, floor-standing band saw, drill press, bench grinder and assorted hand tools. Sadly it also shares space with the 'junk' (my wife's word) that she won't allow in the house so is far too cluttered for comfortable working.

My other workshop houses the table saw, thicknesser , morticer, sliding mitre saw and bench-top band saw but shares space with a large motorbike that has to be wheeled out onto the lawn whenever I want access to the machinery - indeed, I often have to use the lawn as a workshop when more space is needed.

I think I have a reasonable balance with my tools and machinery but have long known the table saw was the weakness; it's a Clarke 10" with a hideously noisy brush motor and rubbish fence but, being an aluminium top, was light enough to move around easily and the 5/8" arbor took a stacked dado cutter (yes, I'm a fan of Norm). Recently the motor died in a smoky flash so I'm researching what to replace it with and my next post may well relate to that :)

Cheers,
John

Welcome John.

That's an interesting mix of projects but really, two workshops! That's just being greedy :D

Can't help with the table saw as I don't have one but I'm sure if you post there'll be plenty of opinions forthcoming (but do search the forum for past postings - it's a regular subject). Look forward to seeing some pics of your next project and/or workshops.

Mike

Welcome John.

I'd keep a look out on ebay for a nice old startrite or wadkin saw that you can rescue from the rust goblins.

They're beautifully made and solid as a rock.

Be interesting to see some pics of the work you have done in your friends cafe (plus nice little plug for him as I think there are quite a few members from Devon on here)

Welcome John,

You're a brave man putting a stacked dado on a Clarke saw.

If you post details of the motor on the machinery forum, you'll find Bob (9 fingers) will give you some excellent advice.

Neil

Thanks for the warm welcome folks, greatly appreciated.

I'll put some photos up when I learn how (all forums seem to be different :) )

I did make a start on researching what my next saw will be by looking at old posts on here but I think things must have changed both legally and with what is available since some of the suggestions were made so I need to look into it further and understand a little more before asking questions.

I would dearly like a Wadkin or Startright but the weight is a concern - not only in how I'd collect and get one into my workshop but also how I'd manhandle the thing around inside the workshop (it would have to live against the wall and be pulled out for use after removing the motorbike and as for getting it onto the lawn for when I need more space to make big cuts...)

It's only in the past few days that I've read on here how there seems to be a reticence towards stacked dado cutters. All I can say is that I've used mine on the Clarke for many years and have completed many successful projects and, while I know I could use my router table for the trenching cuts I make, I've always found the TS much easier and have never had a concern for safety. My RAS scares the bejesus out of me though :D

Cheers,
John

Back