Newbie questions about dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I am chomping at the bit to get my new Triton Workstation! However, I am getting it at the wrong end of summer and as such won't get much use out of it before the winter arrives. One thing I think I need to think about is dust extraction. Bearing in mind 99% of the time I will be working outside, so dust isn't a major problem, but it would be nice to keep the clearing up to a minimum and the horrid MDF dust away from my lungs. I am toying with the idea of occaisionally working in our conservatory. But to do this, without facing a saucepan round my head, I need to make sure the dust is kept as low as possible.

Triton do a dust extraction kit which I believe works with a vacum and sucks most of the dust into the bucket as apposed to in the vac bag.

I have done some searching and learned a bit about cyclones. There seems to be a successful triton/cyclone mod.

So my question is mainly based around which vacum to use? My budget is low (as usual) and bearing in mind my woodworking will not be an everyday (or week) affair.

I would apprecieate your views on this.

Wizer,

I am in the same boat at the moment. want a good dust extrator but dont want to pay a fortune for it. its got to be quite small aswell, as i don't have much room for it.

The one I am looking at is the Record RDSE1 which is about £120.

I recently discovered a tool shop called george Higgins power tools, Station Road, Sidcup. They have this extrator for the £120 which is as cheap as anywhere on line. It is however the older blue version (not sure if there is any difference, but hopefully someone who knows will be along soon)

George higgins is well worth a vist (leave your credit card at home) they seem to stock pretty much the entire Trend range of router cutters and accessories, plus pretty much every other tool under the sun.

Hope this helps

Jim

Cheers Jim, I have had the pleasure of George Higgins. Great shop, very dangerous tho!

I have looked at the Record RDSE1 which seems ideal, however I must say I'd hoped for a cheaper option. I guess below this price you are not getting good quality.

I just bought the RSDE2 which is basically the same model but you get a few accessories that increase the price to £150. I have this rigged upto the saw using the 100mm pipe with good results and use the power tool attachment on the router, not a bit of dust getting away from this machine - spot on - well worth the extra bit of cash.

Bought mine from dm-tools and they dispatched within an hour of ordering.

Andy

I use a Numatic NVQ250 (from Axminster). Very quiet, sucks like mad and runs till the bag is so full its a job to remove. I notice that Axminster sell a badged Numatic which has a "optimised for MDF" filter. My vac works well with a router and a small band saw, but I don't think any vac system will remove all dust particles, a mask is still advisable. I even use a mask outside when dealing with "dangerous" dust producing materials and its surprising how much the mask picks up.

Bob

WiZeR":2337tt1q said:
Triton do a dust extraction kit which I believe works with a vacum and sucks most of the dust into the bucket as apposed to in the vac bag.

I have done some searching and learned a bit about cyclones. There seems to be a successful triton/cyclone mod.

So my question is mainly based around which vacum to use? My budget is low (as usual) and bearing in mind my woodworking will not be an everyday (or week) affair.

I would apprecieate your views on this.

The triton dust bucket is not very good until you modify it into a mini cyclone which i did but would not pay the Trton prices for their bucket if you do not own one. if you check out the Australiian Triton user website you will find the mods to make else contact me directly.

WiZeR":gcqkp11h said:

The bucket does help stop the vac bag filling up as quickly as it wiould without it but like all these things reduces the suction at the business end.
Rather more useful - perhaps even essential with the Triton is their bag thingy (DCA250) that goes under and around the Triton base and catches most of the dust before it gets to the floor. It's a bit fiddly to put on and take off, but if you leave your saw in the Triton all or even most of the time it's worth the effort. I'd try stopping the dust flying all over the floor before worrying about extraction.

Pete

cambournepete":1aq461se said:
It's a bit fiddly to put on and take off, but if you leave your saw in the Triton all or even most of the time it's worth the effort. I'd try stopping the dust flying all over the floor before worrying about extraction.

Pete
I have taken the bottom of the bag off and fitted a funnel attached to a cyclone its better than using gravity as the bag leaks mainly around the table top.

Thanks Barry. I have been following your adventure into cyclones with great interest. I will probably go down this route after I have a bit more WW experience under my belt.

The RSDE2 is on my birthday list for 2 weeks time and my fingers are double crossed :wink: 8)

Latest posts

Back