Newbie question on Treated wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oraclebhoy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, just wondering what’s you view on using treated lumber for wood projects, I’m currently pricing up some 2x4s to make a solid workbench for my garage and wickes have their treated CLS 2x4 on clearance, save £1.56 per 3000mm length.
I’m on a tight budget so makes sense but just wanted to see if there are any reasons why I shouldn’t use them.
Would they glue just as well as non-treated wood? Any issues using combining non treated and treated.

Thank you.
Brian

If your referring to tanalised treated wood, nothing wrong in using it for certain projects where accuracy and finish is not important. For example the frame for a bench in a workshop. I would not use it for a bench top.
You sometimes see a very good, say a set of gates in garden centre. You have to note that these are often manufactured from pre treated timber and after the project has been built, it is then treated as a whole item - hence why it looks good.
It's very brittle and the knots are hard and do come out. Its usually out of square and twisted/bowed to a degree. If you put through a planner or thicknesser you may have to change your blades afterwards.
If price is the main consideration, look for some used soft or hard wood and machine it to suit. Some of the high grade CLS wood is very good and far better than treated for making bench frames and other such items.
Personally, if times not so important, I would save up to buy some decent wood.

thank you, I’m glad I asked this question.
I usually mess up by buying cheap then having to buy it again.
Will buy better quality.

I was really intimidated going anywhere other than a big-box store for timber.

It is worth having a look around though. I found a softwood sawmill by me that sells 'rough' 4"x1" timber - if you have a planer that could be perfect and very cheap. (It's almost a 5m length)

09-01-21 10-08-47.jpg

Or bit higher quality 4"x2"
09-01-21 10-24-28.jpg

This place even throws in free local delivery!

Henshaw timber isn't too far from you and will deliver. They have wood like above sawn and planned top quality pine.

Cheers James

Latest posts

Back