Newbie query, what components required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Lewis

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm pretty much a newbie with woodworking, but want to make something like this:

Basically a spool holder for fly tying, the design is the shelves swivelling around central dowels.
I've no idea what hardware components I'd need for this, anyone have an ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Mike

I was thinking maybe spacer fixed underneath each shelf... But the photo above looks like something else is used, wondering if there is some component I can buy that does this job.

I'm not sure any hardware is needed at all is it? 6 "shelves" with a hole in one end glued and if you like screwed to a dowel with a spacer between them while drying to keep them in place.

I think it might only be a dowel with short lengths of plastic pipe to keep them spaced out.

If you mean what tools. A pillar drill or drill in a drill stand would make drilling a lot easier.

Flat/spade bits are cheap for drilling the large holes - but can be a bit messy and splintery. Forstner bits are great for drilling very neat large holes.

You will need a pillar drill for one.

Secondly how about using empty spools for spaces with a washer above and below.

Or instead of the arrangement above how about a folding box with the spools in so that it can easily be closed and put away?

Cheers James

Not even sure a pillar drill is needed. A drill guide should suffice. Not like the hole has to be massive. A 8mm dowel would be more than enough for this job.

Back