Newbie Needs a Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonebas

Reaction score
Just built a nice workshop (5m x 3m) and I now have the dreaded ‘which table saw’ dilemma. Been using an EB site saw which was great help building an extension and the workshop but it won’t tilt and the blade wobbles! Main uses for the new saw will be re-building the kitchen (she wants walnut!!), furniture making etc so I want something that is accurate.

I have been looking mainly at the Record TSPP250 and the SIP 01332 which seem good value for money but the Record has had a mixed reception and I haven’t heard any reports about the SIP.

The money I hope to save by building my own kitchen means I have a budget of about £2000 but I am also looking at getting a good band saw and P/T (but that’s another subject). I was looking at spending about £600 on a saw but I have recently started looking at the Scheppach TS2500Ci. Is this machine worth twice the price of the SIP?

My head’s spinning and any help would be gratefully appreciated. :roll:

Thanks in advance

Stonebas

Welcome to the forum Stonebas

Devonwoody is your man I suspect. He seems to have tried all the saws on the market over the course of this year! :D

I'm sure he'll be along shortly. A quick search for table saws or the like should throw up plenty of info and I think there are a good few TS2500 owners kicking about.

All the best

stonebas ask philly about his saw and you wont look back .

wecome to the mad house .

who pinched me pills :shock: :D :D

frank

I had the Record TSPP250 you mention, I sold it after 2 or 3 months.
The pull saw action was poor to much vibration on the cut. It took ages to get everthing aligned. Excellent fence though. IMHO there are better saws out there for similar money.

Hi Stonebas

welcome to the forum :D

You might want to take a look at the Xcalibur range (click new semi proffesional)..... :whistle:.......very reasonably priced iron and you won't go far wrong for the money :D

but as scott says there's plenty of table saw reviews around to help you with your decision.

Cheers

Stonebas

Welcome to the forum

With the sort of money you have tpspend, lucky man, I would recommend one of the Xacalibar range, there are a few of us with this type of saw and I've not seen any complaints about performance.

Good luck in you purchase, let us know what you decide.

Stonebas
Welcome to the forum!
Tablesaw, eh?
The Xcalibers are a lot of saw for the money-not a lot of flashy add-ons, just a solidly built, powerful, accurate sawbench. I fully recommend the 806. Here's a bit of a review...
http://www.philsville.co.uk/Xcaliber.htm
Having spent a lot of quality time with the saw I am a 100% happy with it!
Hope this helps, let us know what you go for,
Philly :D

Stonebas,

Welcome, and yes I am becoming a tablesaw connoisseur :)

The carriers know my address and bring with them a motorised palette carrier and inform me how many tablesaws and bandsaws they have had to pick up and return to suppliers.

You seem to get what you pay for , which I expect you have heard before. So my recommendation is to make sure that which ever model you purchase it is on the understanding that it can be returned if unsatisfactory and use a credit card.

Stonebas
I've recently been through the same dilemma. I had settled on a Wadkin, but the nice ones on Ebay go for quite a lot of money.
In the end I have ordered the SIP 01332 with sliding table and a SIP dust collector from West Skelston Services
The sliding table and dust collector arrived as promised yesterday, I have asked them to deliver the saw itself next friday to give me time to clear some space. I built up the sliding table yesterday and it looks good for the money. The table surface itself is built up from aluminium extrusions. I think I would prefer greater wall thickness on the extrusions, it looks a bit thin to me. (of course, the saw itself has a cast iron table). But the overall impression is that its as good as I hoped and better than I feared, and I have no idea how they supply this quality for the money.
Of course, none of this means much until I have got the saw and started using it. But based on what I've seen so far, I would say the SIP looks a good bet.
Max

:D wellcome to the Forum

The Xcalibur range is defiantly worth a look the saws are well made and accurate even at the bottom end of the range :D . then get a couple of good books and a video use the search engine on this site it has a whole host of useful information and best of luck \:D/

Martyn :D

Ain't it funny how everyone recommends the saw they have themselves...? :D :D

I reckon a visit to dealers to see the saws in the flesh is well advised if it's at all possible! :wink:

Whilst reading your post and before i read the replies, the first thing that popped in my mind was xcaliber. I dont own one, just the opinion I have drawn from hanging around here too long!

Welcome to the forum

I bought the SIP saw earlier this year after much searching and listening to advice. In my opinion it is well worth the money for a lower end price saw. The fence is rock solid and square and comes with a sliding sub fence for sheet and narrow cuts. The machine is lovely and quiet when running and mine runs off a 13 amp plug. The only niggle is the riving knife protrudes above the blade and needs removing for shoulder cuts.

Les

Les.
On the earlier saw I had this year the same situation arose so I purchased another riving knife and ground off some of the metal at the top. The reason I purchased an additional knive was that I was uncertain if losing some of the metal at top I would lose kickback protection. On my new Scheppach the handbook instructs the knife to be set 2 mm below the top of the blade and kickback does not seem tobe any problem. Perhaps the riving blade setting is mainly to hold the blade guard. this comes off anyway if doing the cuts that are considered naughty.
Having a spare unadulterated knive means you could sell the saw in the future in its original state.

Thanks for all the comments – they have been a great help. I get the impression that the Xcalibur is highly thought of. Although I came across this saw on the internet I didn’t have the foggiest whether it was any better than the Record or the SIP that I have been looking at. However, after the comments I received, I have emailed Woodford with a view to visiting their showroom in Stockport to see for myself. They’re not cheap but on the other hand I want to avoid the hassle and expense of having to ‘upgrade’ in ??? months time!!

I will let you know how I get on.

All the best

Stonebas

I thought I would post an update on the SIP 01332. I have actually sold mine on, as in the end it was too big for my current space.
The saw is great value, nicely finished, the fence and sliding table both look excellent. I might get another one when I get more space. The main difference between the SIP and something like a Wadkin is in the trunnions. Obviously the Wadkin has those big arc trunnions both ends for the blade tilt mechanism.
The SIP has small 'pin' trunnions, from which the blade/motor/abour hangs.
The Wadkin-type design will be stiffer, and will wear less over time. Also, it allows the centre of rotation of the tilt mechanism to be situated at the plane of the table surface. This allows the narrowest possible slot for the blade while still allowing clearance as the blade tilts. Whereas with the SIP design, the centre of rotation of the tilt mechanism will inevitably lie slightly below the surface of the table, so there will be some lateral movement as the blade tilts. Hence the slot on the SIP requires a little more clearance to one side.
As usual, you get what you pay for. The pin-trunnion design may well be more appropriate for a home user, the arc-trunnion more appropriate for heavy regular use over many years. But if anyone was wondering why the SIP is cheaper, I would say the trunnion design will be one factor.
Am I right in thinking that a pair of cast iron 'arc' trunnions is the norm on older table saws? What about other modern saws, like the Xcaliburs? And what about contractors saws?
Max

Max

I took a look at the Xcalibur table saw (not the contractor saw) about 2 years ago and posted a sort of review on the subject at the time. The Xcalibur I looked at had indeed got cast iron trunnions which is still the norm for industrial/heavy trade saws in Europe and was certainly a substantial piece of kit. I seem to recall that one of my concerns at the time was the saw being fitted with a splitter rather than a riving knife, although Woodford did tell me at the time that a riving knife option would be available. Overall I came away with the impression that the saws are solid, no-frills machines. The only reason I didn't buy at the time as I was offered a s/hand rip saw which fitted the purpose much better and was as cheap as chips to boot.

BTW one trade saw exception to the two trunnions "rule" I do recall was the Startrite saw which had only a single cast-iron quadrant and a pivot pin arrangement. But then, they are no where near as durable as Wadkins.

Scrit

Heres a picture of the inside of the Xcalibur contractors saw before I put it all together.
Could you tell me what type it is ?

IMG_Trunion.jpg

Back