Newbie - need help to spend my cash !!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdotflorida

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to this woodwork thing and this is my first post. I'm in need of some help please.

I have decided to purchase a couple of serious machines and spend some fairly serious cash in the process. I was hoping for some impartial advice and guidance as I've been stumbling around the net trying to find reviews etc. and after minimal luck I came across this site. It was a refreshing find to read all the posts and get a broad picture of what "real" people (as opposed to DHL presenters with workshops and budgets the size of a small country) are doing and the site is sure to become a favorite.

I have decided to buy both a Table saw and a Planer/Thicknesser and after some research, the shortlist is ...

Jet Supersaw, Sheppach TS2500 or the electra Beckum 255 for the saw and either the Sheppach HMS260 or the Axminster AW106PT for the P/T.

Like everything there are choices to be made. I like the cast iron of the supersaw but prefer the power of the other 2 saws. I like the look of the EB but don't like the scaffolding that seems to come with the sliding table and looks to be just right for taking lumps out of your shin. I know very little about the important things like fences, accuracy and ease of use etc.

As far as the P/tas go there seems to be a number of posts praising the Scheppach. Again I like the cast iron and the price of the Axminster but it seems underpowered compared to the Sheppach.

Anybody willing to give me a few pointers or the benefit of their experience ? Any feedback will be much appreciated.

:?

Hi - welcome to the groups.

Sound like you have done some good research. I think it will be tough choosing between the choices you have narrowed it down to. I would highly recommend going to a show or a decent tool shop and checking some of these machines out.

But I started off with a Delta 36-525 (which was very good for the money) which I've recently to a Scheppach TS2000 (very similiar to the TS2500 but smaller). The accuracy on these machines is very good. The fine settings really are dream to use. On both the crosscut fence and the rip fence. The Jet saw was reviewed in Good Woodoworking this month - so worth getting a copy. It came out well - only real negative seemed its limitations for cutting large sheet good. There the TS2500 may be better. For me though if you have the space and the possibility of getting the machine in your workshop (it's a heavy thing - twice the weight of a washing machine!), then my personal choice would be the Jet - I'm still not that sure about the extruded aluminium on the Scheppachs.

Having said that I have the Scheppach 260 made from (pressed?) steel and this is an excellent machine (the steel can't be confused with the extruded alu table saw tops - this is solid stuff). Cast iron may or may not be better - but with a bit of lube wax I can't find many faults with the machine. It gives an excellent finish and it's a tried and tested formula - it's been around for 20 odd years - in pretty much the same form. That's a big plus for me - you want these machines to last. But GW is reviewing the Axminster machine next month. Will be an interesting read for many. I will see it at the Axminster show tomorrow!

Bit of a rushed e-mail - hope it makes sense.

Have fun with your spending!

Cheers

Gidon

Hi MDF

Welcome.

Mdotflorida":sojdwhsn said:
I'm pretty new to this woodwork thing and this is my first post. I'm in need of some help please.

I have decided to buy both a Table saw and a Planer/Thicknesser and after some research, the shortlist is ...

Jet Supersaw, Sheppach TS2500 or the electra Beckum 255 for the saw and either the Sheppach HMS260 or the Axminster AW106PT for the P/T.

Like everything there are choices to be made. I like the cast iron of the supersaw but prefer the power of the other 2 saws.

As far as the P/tas go there seems to be a number of posts praising the Scheppach. Again I like the cast iron and the price of the Axminster but it seems underpowered compared to the Sheppach. :?

Firstly, I would suggest you buy Good Woodworking 142, it is in the shops now and contains a review of the Jet SS. I have been through the same process as you and I am going to buy the Jet. Don't be worried about the "lack of" power with the Jet. Jet quote output power at 100%, the others quote input power. What I understand by this is that it will keep going for hours at it's rated speed. I can't talk you through the technicalities but I can tell you there is no lack of power with the Jet. I don't think you would be dissapointed with either the Jet or the Scheppach. As I say, my personal preference is for the Jet with the cast iron.

On the PT front all I can say is don't buy the Axminster before reading a review. GWW are doing one in the next issue, due at the end of November. I looked at the Scheppach and also the DeWalt. Again, both of these would do an excellent job for you and the DW733S is only 599 + 20 delivery (UK mainland) from DM Tools at Twickenham. I have chosen the DW.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Cheers
Neil

Hi MDF

I've just thought that when you come to buy a router that you should allow yourself a three figure sum to buy some really decent cutters, such as Freud etc.

Cheap it ain't. :wink: :wink:

Cheers
Neil

I have the Elektra Beckum 255 with the "scaffolding" under the sliding carriage. Yes it is big and in the way of your feet, but the carriage is so sweet to use, it's so smooth and can take very large panels with ease.
I guess it all repends on what type of projects you are likely to make.

Hello, welcome to the forums from the UKW staff!

To be honest, I WASNT impressed with the jet saw - the fence SUCKED - the scheppach ones seemed alot better. Sure they are more slimline. But they seemed alot more accurate.

The sliding carage was very smooth, and cast iron felt good. however - the sliding table, and main bed wern't level (BY 4mm!)

Didnt have that WOW factor that other machines do, I would reccomend Elecktra Beckum Stuff! OR maybe if you have the space and money, take a good look at the Startrite tablesaw... :lol:

James,

I would imagine if the sliding table was 4mm out it wasn't set up properly. There are jacking screws to pick it up for both flatness and level to the main table.
The fence should locate on the back rail as well as the front, but at shows, it is all to easy for customers to lift it off and then put it back incorrectly which may have given you the impression it was poor.
Having had access to the saw for a month, I can vouch for it's accuracy and ease of use. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I had the need for it.
Elektra Beckum may make good looking kit, but their entry level tablesaw (PK200) is nowhere near as user friendly as the Kity or Scheppach models.
To be honest, the 'Wow' factor shouldn't come into any purchase, it should be the ease of use, build quality and how easy it is to change from function to function that should sell it.
Whistles and bells are fine, but they will never replace rock solid performance.

Andy

andy king":1cf37ac5 said:
I would imagine if the sliding table was 4mm out it wasn't set up properly.
To which my inevitable response is:

Why wasn't it set up properly? Don't Jet want to sell 'em or something? Not that they're the only ones; it's a recurring problem with demonstration models and one of my pet grumbles. (Yes, I have a whole menagerie... :p ) How can you make an informed judgement about a machine if it's not set up as it should be? At the very least I can't help but wonder if the folks who assemble and disassemble these tools all the time find it too much bother to do it right, whether proper set up of model XXX isn't going to be a major pain if you buy it too.

Okay Grumble; heel. Back in your kennel now... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Andy.

while Ive yet to see the Jet SS in the flesh so to speak I agree with your comments totaly with regards to bells and whistles.

Of the few shows I have been to I can honestly say Ive never yet seen a piece of machinery set up correctly.

If you consider the time an exhibitor has to set up their display in time for a show, and then compare this to the time you would take to set up a piece of machinery in your work shop its hardly a wonder really.

When looking at machinery I tend to ask my self, why is that bit out of alignment with this bit. Once I give the machine a once and have a chat with a demonstrator In general they admit that the machine hasnt been set up properly and then go on to outline a multidude twiddly bits with which to twiddle and end up with a perfectly set up machine.

As my old maths lecturer used to say Engage brain before opening mouth!

just my 2 pennorth

Signal

Alf,

You are absolutely correct!
I looked at a bandsaw a while back at a demoing showroom which had the guides miles out, and the worst blade in the world. The employed 'technician' or the owner didn't seem to understand the need for a good blade and accurate set up. After I had tweaked it, the saw was very good, but had I been 'Joe Public' walking in to buy one, I would have made one cut and walked straight back out again.
The trouble with big shows I find is that a lot of the people are simply staff ferried in to 'man the pumps' and the set up of machines is left to one or two people who know what's what so the pressure can be immense when there is very little time to get kit in ready for the doors opening.
Also, with so many people around, it can mean that some things get fiddled with by the public (guides on bandsaws for instance) resulting in a more discerning woodworker pouring scorn on it.
It's still no excuse for badly set up sliding tables though... Unless of course on of the staff had picked it up by the sliding table to move it.... :shock:
It is make or break for any company though. It would make more sense if they employed a few labourers to do the donkey work getting stuff in, leaving more setting up time for the technical bods. Of course as usual, it's cost that is the main factor no doubt.

Many thanks for all the advice and for the benefit of your expertise. At least my research came up with 3 equally good saws and in the end it seems to come down to personal choice and the type of work I want to do.

The EB and the Scheppach seem to have a slight advantage as far as ripping large sheets are concerned. However ripping 8 x 4 sheets is not going to happen a whole lot and when I need to do that I can rough dimension using a clamp and a circular saw. I've pretty much made up my mind it's going to be the Jet. Bought the mag and read the report as suggested. Still have a slight niggle over the power rating but there does seem to be a reasonable explanation for this. In the end I think the cast iron tips the balance for me.

Going to hold fire on the P/T until I get next months mag. From what I've read in these forums so far, I'm leaning towards the Scheppach but I will wait and see if the test report persuades me to go for Axminster and the cast iron again.

:D

Having now decided on the Jet I was rooting around the net for some info and ended up at www.amazon.com

After getting over the shock of what we have to pay in the UK compared to the States I checked out the customer reviews of the saw (in all it's available options) and was slightly concerned about the number of owners who had problems after a relatively short period of time. Seems the timing belt is a weak point and replacements seem to take weeks or even months from Jet. Also a number of people are unhappy with the dust extraction setup.

As this is a fairly new product to the UK is anyone else concerned that there may be problems with this saw ?

Am I worrying for nothing ?

:?

Hi MDF

The dust extraction in the UK is not the same as the US. The UK is more efficient and this is probably due to EU laws.

Sorry, but I don't know about the timing belt question.

Have you read the review in Good Woodworking?

Cheers
Neil

Latest posts

Back