Newbie lathe thread x 2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy777

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all I bought an axminster lathe (small) and got an old Blue Record lathe (big)(CL3)

I want to use the old one with my new chuck(Axminster) but the threads are different.
Stiles and bates can`t help and Axminster have one going the other way!

have been recommended a local friendly engineer but I think they would probably have to see the lathes and not just the 2 chucks.

The axminster is 1" 8tpi and I haver been told the CL3 is 3/4 16

Any ideas?

I think maybe you will have some problems with this, you will be able to reduce the the hole size ie 1" down to 3/4" but making it larger( with a bush) from 3/4 to 1" sound like a non starter to me, it would have to extend an inch or so.

I have a CL1 which has the same headstock thread. I also have an Axminster Clubman K8 chuch with the insert to fit the 3/4 X 16 thread on my headstock. So depending on what you have from Axi it would be well worth you giving their tech guys a ring to ask them if they can match it for you?

They are VERY good, give them a bell!

you can go either route Andy - either adapt the spindle on the CL3 from 3/4" x 16tpi to 1" x 8tpi as Jon has linked, or adapt the chuck via an insert.

the one that comes with the Rutlands x700 chuck would do the job if you can find one (they don't sell them seperately) otherwise Peter Hemsley at the ToolPost was a great help to me in resolving a related problem (eventual solved through the generosity of a fellow forum member who had one of the above spare and sent it to me)

rutlands-dakota-x450-chuck-help-t57367.html

OK now all sorted! I couldn`t get a converter so the chuck fit the CL3

BUT... Axminster kindly took back the chuck and swapped it for one that fits the CL3 and adapter so the same chuck fits the
axminster lathe. I would have thought and insert in the first chuck would have been a simple solution but they didn`t seem to exist!

Although now the adapter makes the lathe lose 3" bed length!

Happy now its sorted though.

Latest posts

Back