newbie - advice needed on timber for Gazebo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beavere38

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and have been reading through some of the impressive projects that people have done.

I need to build a gazebo, haven't designed it yet but am thinking about the choice of timber. I know very little about wood working BTW.

There is a newly built gazebo outside my local pub (as a smoking shelter) and it looks like the 6 x 6 uprights are oak. However the timber has large cracks in it and I was wondering if this was normal? The gaffer told me this thing cost around £12k to build in total so I doubt they skimped on the timber.

I've bought some new railway sleepers in baltic pine to form a retaining wall in the garden from some guys near me in Nottingham (am I allowed to post a link?) and they supply new French Oak sleepers but it looks like they have cracks forming in them while they are stacked up so would presumably get worse as the timber dried out.

If anyone could advise I would be grateful, I don't want to build something that ends up looking bad but if cracks are the appeal of using real oak then that's ok.

Cheers - I will have design and other questions soon but will post separately when I am ready.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there and welcome to the forum. I have built a few gazebos in the past mainly for hot tubs but I am afraid have never used Oak. I normally use treated softwood for the build and so far have not had any cracks appearing as far as I know. (none of my customers have complained anyway) I did get the chance to visit one of my earlier builds when I went back for another job and it still looked good after six months. :wink:

Thanks for the reply - I saw one of your posts already with pics of 2 gazebos you have done. Do you work as far South as Derby? :lol:

I'm building a gazebo over a hottub BTW. I've seen them for sale on fleabay but you're easily looking at over £1k and then it might be rubbish and poor quality plus you don't get the exact size you want.

I can get an 8'6" x 9" x 5" french oak sleeper for £34 so the cost of the uprights wouldn't be exorbitant. I don't know if these sleepers are poor quality timber, or if they should be dried some special way to stop cracking or if cracks are part of the appeal?

Maybe I should forget sleepers and look for oak or cedar timber but I have no idea where to buy from or whether it needs to be treated or specially dried. Or may be I should go for treated softwood?

I'm beginning to think maybe I should just pay someone to come in and do the lot for me!

Green oak will crack and split - one of the reasons why the beams are (relatively) oversized.

I am afraid I don't work as far afield as Derby. I can tell you though that in treated timber you wil be looking at around £500-£700 for the materials dependant on what roof it has. Having said that most of the ones I have built were around 12' and 14' square with sheet felt and felt shingles on the roof. Last one I built had three roof windows too but these were extra to the price of materials. I designed them myself on Sketchup but the basic design is pretty much the same for all of them. HTH. :wink:

Why not just use 6x6 softwood (treated) for the uprights , it will be easier to cut and easier to manage .

Cracks do happen in large beams unless they have been dried for many years and ever then they may still crack with the weather, personally i like the look of large timbers when they get cracks and shakes in them it adds character :wink: .

Im sure that you could get someone in to do this for you for a reasonable price , im surprised your mailbox aint been rattling with PMs.

Mic..

" Im sure that you could get someone in to do this for you for a reasonable price"

My HEART is saying that I would love to have a go at a project like this and it would be SO rewarding to have created it myself. My HEAD is saying that with two little kids I only really get a couple of hours spare in the evening if I am lucky so I should get someone in to do it.

I'm based in Derby, Derbyshire if anyone is interested in taking this on as a job please get in touch!

Bit far for me.

I'd go with tanalised timber if i were you.Easier to work and cheaper than oak.

Back