Newbi needing advice!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pitch pine the member!
It is spalted ash with the butt end of thd blank cut from a large crotch.

If this is something that interests you, why not give it a go yourself? You could use a cheaper timber, or even laminate decent plywood strips. It might be that you have to have a few goes before you get it perfect, but if you never try, then you will never get through that barrier. I would think that it is going to be a case of making something, using it, customising it, using it, tweaking it etc.

An air pistol might give you a similar challenge/practice and would use less timber. Depends on what your interest is (shooting generally or hunting etc), but dont be put off by it being tricky. I would like to make a new stock for my theoben, but it is not a priority at the moment. I always wanted the Brocock are cartridge rifle because it was nice and light, and looked cool. Sadly, illegal to buy without an FAC now.

It is good to know that the past 10 years of collecting and reducing the size of various types of wood is not all in vain!

I used one of the pieces of my ash as a "picture" as it was so beautiful. It is quartersawn, so quite stable, and looks like a dessert or a rolling sea...different people see different things in it.

Nick

hi i had a air arms s410 extra,walnut was my choice,took the odd nock with without to much bother! looks very nice 2,
as for the timber just a shot in the dark (pun intended) could b birch as its not yet fully dryed looks close to a birch i felled
a few years ago but just alittle darker in colour!

pitch pine":f5o4046n said:
It is good to know that the past 10 years of collecting and reducing the size of various types of wood is not all in vain!

I used one of the pieces of my ash as a "picture" as it was so beautiful. It is quartersawn, so quite stable, and looks like a dessert or a rolling sea...different people see different things in it.

Nick

I tend to see furniture in lumps of wood!

Hat, coat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Door!

John :mrgreen:

Back