Newbi needing advice!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilogrt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Just joined your forum. Hoping it will be a reliable source for answers that constantly crop up.
I'm a tree surgeon and a keen shooter. I've been wanting to build a custom stock for my rifle for some time now. Having access to timber, I've been collecting what I think might be special bits. Amungst elm crotches and an entire elm root ball that is cut into 4 large slabs and seasoning at the moment, I have this lump that I cut out of a stem at the yard;
Not allowed to post pic yet!
I don't know how long it had been cut for but if any body knows about spalting, how long do you think it would take to spalt? I know the tree has to be dead or cut before it starts? As you can see from the other side;
Not allowed to post pic yet!
It is well spalted. I've had it seasoning for a year since cutting from the trunk. I ran it through the thicknesser a few weeks ago and is now in a cupboard in the house that stays a fairly consistant temp. It's now 55mm thick and plan to take it down to 45-48mm for the final thickness.
Any ideas how long before I could start working it or should I take it somewhere to measure the moisture content?

I left you all with the game of guessing what wood it is!

Normally timber take about 1 year per 1" of thickness

Best to weigh it once a week and see if it's getting any lighter , when it stops loosing weight you should be ready to use it

Also you need 4 post to be able to upload images :wink:

Spalting in Elm will likely be caused by Honey Fungus. Any spalting is just rot really, it's just a case of catching it in time. I tend to try to avoid it m'self. :)

Rifle stock eh? Elm? Or Walnut??

You can upload images directly to the forum server from your first post as long as the file size is 256Kb or less ( most JPG images of 1024 pixels or less come well under this)

Use the Upload attachment dialogue below the New post dialogue box.

'Browse' (to locate the file on your computer) and 'Add File'
postingimages.jpg

Posting restrictions only apply to Off Site URL's

Attachments

• postingimages.jpg
    postingimages.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 335
CHJ":k2g908ke said:
You can upload images directly to the forum server from your first post as long as the file size is 256Kb or less ( most JPG images of 1024 pixels or less come well under this)

Use the Upload attachment dialogue below the New post dialogue box.

'Browse' (to locate the file on your computer) and 'Add File'

Posting restrictions only apply to Off Site URL's

Thanks. I was trying to post a direct image link to photo bucket as I'm on an iPhone.
Will get on the laptop and do the image.

Can you tell what it is yet?

Attachments

• photo (8).JPG
    photo (8).JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 262
  • photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 261
as they're small pieces, go by weight, they will look fabulous. Though taking out all the recesses accurately for the parts is going to be fun with that grain!

Aidan

Any ideas on how to finish this wood? Oil is my ideal finish because it will get knocked about so I'll need to steam out the dents every now and then but would you stain it a little as its so light?

I'm still waiting for someone to identify the wood!
I'll give you a clue, It's not Elm!

Pitch pine wins!

I do happen to have some Tru-oil. I tried it on a small area a while ago, before it went through the p&t.
wondering that others have tried on ash?

Attachments

• photo (10).JPG
    photo (10).JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 46
Back