New Yankee Gloatage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Howdy Folks!
A friend of mine by the name of Dan Holton (some of you may know him as he imports Unisaws and other US goodies :shock: ) and his lovely wife recently had a holiday in the States. They had a whale of a time and he mentioned to me that "we popped in on His Highness"!!! :shock: . Yes! The lucky So-and-so called by the New Yankee Workshop to say hi to Norm, Russ and the crew. And as they were filming an episode of the new series they were caught on the New Yankee web-cam. Look here...
http://www.newyankee.com/slideshow_2005 ... p?this=148
Now isn't that the gloat to end all New Yankee gloats!!!?? :lol:
Now of interest to the rest of us-Dan asked if the crew would be returning to the UK at all in the future? Answer? If we can come up with a suitable project or two Norm will be winging his way over to film. Russ the producer asked if we had any ideas??
So come on! This is our chance to get Norm making something of our choosing-post your ideas here and I will forward the on. :D
Cheers
Philly :D

Lucky pipper :x

How about something Ye Olde English-y..

Something like a snooker table, old english bar with hand pumps...

My mind is a bit blank at the mo. but i'm sure something better will come :D

Ta, Tom

I thought the location of NYW was a closely guarded secret or is it just some propaganda like the identity of the Stig.. Still i would love to go myself.

Dont think the muricans would know much about snooker, but a pool table would be a great show or two. I plan to make a new front door (house) maybe Norm could make one in a shaker style and show how to hang it.

Tom

I'd love to see Norm make a traditional English long bow.

:twisted:

Gill

Gill,
That is a great idea! I have occasionally been tempted to take myself off on one of the course one sees in bow making, they look like fun.

Iin the same vein one might argue for Norm to come and make a traditional Welsh stick chair, although they probably make more of those in the USA than here these days.

I suppose it OK to be so focused on what one person does in one particular workshop, wouldn't suit me though, I like to think up my own ways of doing things. That's not a value judgement, BTW. Anyone else feel that way?
John

Welcome to the forum, Walt. :D

Now I need a map to find out where in the heck Lexington Gardens are in order to program the missile... :-k :wink:

Cheers, Alf

alf would that be the traditional pastie with the scary sharp crust and the puddin at one end :wink: god help them :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Gosh no, Frank. It's an intercontinental long-range pastie with aerodynamic roping and stealth Swede and Potato of course. :roll: Short-range pasties are all heading for France at the moment... :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

wstellwagen":2p0tw5o5 said:
Pasties havent had a good one in 45 years since my great aunt passed on and you send them to france--, Mine are passable but--.

Walt

Alf's definitely the expert in this field, but I could pm you one of my recipes if you're feeling brave... Mine tend to be edible rather than incendiary ;) :p :)

Gill

Norm may not be for everyone, but I think he has inspired many people to take up this great hobby of woodworking.

So come on! This is our chance to get Norm making something of our choosing-post your ideas here and I will forward the on.

One aspect that's been constant in Norm's reproductions is the real close study of the inspirational piece followed by Norm's take on the concept... Irrespective of the tools he uses I've always respected that link back to the period piece...

I'd like to see how he'd deal with an expanding dining table; the type that'd expand to seat 8-16... drop in leaves...heavy classical legs, nice edge moulding and maybe a carved apron too... I'd be interested to see what hardware he found to use in place of traditional sliding dovetail slides...

the challenge..?? additional leaves gotta be stored inside the table, not in a cupboard... and no bl**dy wood stain..!!! I'll turn a blind eye to the poly...

:wink:

Mike, I rather think you might have missed that episode. I don't think he carved the apron, though.

;) :)

Gill

Evening Alf, Gill, and All!

So what are 'pasties' in the UK? (In the states they're only found in burlesque houses.) I followed the link to the online dictionary of differingly used terms a couple of weeks ago but don't recall 'pasties' being there. I did submit to the lexicographer that we 'muricans have something similar to a 'caravan' that we call a 'camper', though.

Alf, Lexington and Concord are where our forefathers began their fight against the Crown. To a Texan they aren't far enough apart to have separate names. If those pasties are as lethal as you implied, a 'close' (as in "Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and hydrogen bombs.") toss should be sufficient.

And Mr. Kennedy, is that an adder? (I hope it's not a multiplier. GROAN) I was reading the other day that there are only 2 or 3 types of snakes in the UK and that only the adder is poisonous. That seems to be absurdly few to a 'murican Southerner. I've dispatched four different poisonous varieties from my back 'garden'.

BobH

Back