New workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAZB

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just worked out how to get a link for viewing my photo's on the Net so I thought I would give you all a view of my new workshop. It just happened to be my lucky day about 4 weeks ago when a joiner I knew informs me that he is emigrating to Cyprus and he had a workshop going begging so to cut a long story short I snapped his hand off , settled on £50 a month rent ( a month ! ) and bought the contents off him lock stock and barrel . His dad built the workshop years ago and also has a large area of land he is keeping so he didn't want to sell the building, which is a shame, but with a workshop of 50ft X 30ft to play with I'm certainly not complaining and there is also a massive barn I have the use of for timber storage . At the minute I am still in the process of sorting out what's what and will be moving things around a bit to my own liking so I will update the photo's when I do.
Here's the link to my pictures :
http://dburd.photosite.com/Workshop/

Nice one Daz!! Plenty of room for you there although it looks a little err, damp?

Have fun

Nice size - I thought mine was huge at 30' x 20'. However, I laughed out loud when I saw all the blocks under the workbench legs!
Is that a spindle moulder? I promise not to be jealous of that if you send me the second morticer immediately. You can't possibly need two....

Congratulations, I hope you have many happy hours there.

Regards, John

Hi Daz - I'm in the process of building my 'Dream Workshop' at the moment. It is at present an ex hay barn approx 90' x 24' with a lean to along one side. What type of heating does yours have? (There was an extensive discussion on FWW board about under floor radiant heating but the big disadvantage (That I can tell) is that nothing can be put on top except a coat of paint and concrete can get very tiring to stand on all day. Also what type of lighting are you planning - Once again some threads on FWW are not in favour of flourescents, what's your choice.

nice shop daz ,will you be using the calor gas for heating the shop ? if you do put in plenty of ventilation, calor gas heaters give off lots of condensation.is a window cleaner included in the rent :p :p :p have fun and dont feed the horse :D

Thanks for all your comments everyone , most welcome . At the minute
the only heat source is the Calor heater which will also blow cool in the Summer but I am planning to check out the flat panel wall heaters that cost about 8p a day to run so I've heard (well I am a Yorkshireman). I have four 6ft flourescents in each half at the moment and will probably stick with them but upgrade to the twin tube variety. The windows are going to be one of the first things I actually make in the workshop because they are well past their best and so have been left holding dust for now. Regarding the damp, yes there is a slight problem in the 1st half of the shop and it is because behind the left external wall there is a gully about 12" wide and then a garden wall around 7ft high and over time the gully has filled up with leaf matter and other debris and is now unfortunately allowing water to get above the DPM and after a heavy downpour it finds it's way in. I intend finding a small boy with a long rake to ply with crisps and pop to do my bidding on the end of a stout piece of rope fairly soon.! The only down side is that the floor is concrete and it has a slight fall from left to right and I would like to lay Jablite and Chipboard to level it up but I may just make do because I won't be in the shop for hours on end on a daily basis so comfort is not the main issue but I may think again on that in a few months. The table with the blocks under has it's own story,, the Joiner was only about 5ft 6in so he built his table accordingley and then some time down the line he set a chap on full time making windows etc while he spend more time on site fitting who was rather taller and was being crippled by the bending all day so it was raised rather crudely with the nearest offcuts and has been that way since. Time for an overhaul I think . As for the horse, It was under the window the other day and let out the loudest fart I'd ever heard from man or beast. I nearly added one of my own through the fright it gave me so I won't be encouraging it by feeding it thank you very much.

DAZB":3m8taxis said:
Regarding the damp, yes there is a slight problem in the 1st half of the shop and it is because behind the left external wall there is a gully about 12" wide and then a garden wall around 7ft high and over time the gully has filled up with leaf matter and other debris and is now unfortunately allowing water to get above the DPM and after a heavy downpour it finds it's way in. I intend finding a small boy with a long rake to ply with crisps and pop to do my bidding on the end of a stout piece of rope fairly soon.!
Ah, nice to know the good old traditions of child labour are being upheld :D

DAZB":3m8taxis said:
The only down side is that the floor is concrete and it has a slight fall from left to right
May I draw your attention to the anti-fatigue mats Axminster sell? I have the same problem and using them in front of the bench has helped a good deal.

Looks like there's lots of potential there, Daz, and lots of work too. If I was you I'd block up the windows; I'd never get anything done with that view to look at... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

daz i think young thomas can be bribed with some pop and crisps :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

tsk kids allways wanting more, they wont even go the chimneys anymore a nice peice of 2x2 oak will give them incentive :twisted:

Alf - I'm planning on using the 'Anti-fatigue' type mats as well but I was unsure about spillage (Varnish, thinners etc.) Have you had any 'accidents' around the bench with liquids and if so how did they clean up?

Losos,

Being a careful worker... well I've dropped shellac, meths, all sorts. It wipes up pretty easily and I haven't noticed any deterioration in consequence. Not exactly rigorous scientific testing though; sorry.

Cheers, Alf

Alf, Thanks, that's useful to know
Daz, on the subject of flourescents, apparently you can get different colour ratings on the tubes. Daylight tubes give good colour rating but are 'cold' then there are the 'warm' tubes but with these colours are not truly displayed. The woodies on the other side of the pond worry about this :( and I guess if you do high class finishing it could be important.

Losos wrote:

Once again some threads on FWW are not in favour of flourescents, what's your choice

If you're wondering what lighting to have for your workshop, my suggestion is to go for plenty of flourescent fittings, as they are much more energy efficient than ordinary bulb lighting.

I'd really recommend 'Daylight' tubes. I have transformed my workshop lighting simply by changing from ordinary tubes to daylight tubes. I can see my work (and spot the blemishes) much better and in crisper detail. If the roof/ceiling is high, it's worth suspending the lights at no higher than about 2.5 metres above the floor.

Ike

Ike

Sorry Losos, I didn't see your last post on the thread :oops: Ok, the colour temperature of lighting will set the 'mood' and 'ambience' - especially important in the house, but 'daylight' lighting is by far best in the workshop (hopefully the woodburning stove will give you that warm cozy feeling! :D )

Ike

Ike - Clearly you & I don't suffer from SAD (Seasonal Adjustment Disorder) :) I've pretty much decided it'll be 'daylight tubes' for me as well (My vision is not what it used to be :( )
I've always been a bit sceptical about SAD - Surely if you wake in the morning it's p****** down and the postmen drops a load of bills on your matt etc. etc. then one gets dressed and off to work, if one tries to do a good days work all the other problems fade into the background and by close of play it'll have stopped raining and when you get home you'll find at least one of those bills is a credit note :D

Back