New workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Dance

Established Member
Reaction score
hello, i am a new member and am currently constructing my outside workshop, 2.7m x 5.7m, fully insulated, for woodworking, can someone point me in the direction workshop layout as i have no idea, as perviously worked in a garage with a workmate and tools came out as required. I have a mitre saw, lathe, pillar drill & bandsaw currently
James

It’s a wonderfully exciting time for you Jim, I wouldn’t set too much in stone at this point as you will no doubt be acquiring more pieces of equipment, maybe a tablesaw and a planer thicknesser with attendant dust extraction. So at this point I would be fairly fluid and as a lot on here do have everything on wheels – maybe not the lathe though ha ha
I think what’s going to be difficult at this point is deciding where to put your main power points, I think I would have a square duct running around the top of the workshop – the sort with a pealable front so that you could drop power down where you want it as and when. Ian

Welcome Jim, just to echo Ians comments regarding layout - wait till it's all built, but for power and maybe dust extraction... put as many points in as you think you'll need.....then at least double it ..... oh and don't look at the bank balance! 😜

And don’t do what I did, I used the studs to fasten to when I brought the electric ducting down to work level, this precluded me using the same studs for shelf brackets etc, ducting doesn’t need much fastening so plasterboard fittings are ok and then a ring of noggins around the room between the studs for the sockets are the way to go for the electrics. Ian

As the others above have said it would be best to see the space done and then fit things in there to suit your needs but one thing i would consider doing regardless is the ducting for dust/chip extraction on the roof, across the length of the shop in the middle if its feasible and add ducts off it as needed; imagine a spine and ribs. It stop the air taking such a long journey to the furthest away machines instead of running the circumference of the room and without trailing ducting across the floor while you work. It also helps keep keep sharp angles to a minimum as your only ever 2 45 degree joints from the extractor instead of possibly 3+ 90 degree joints (or a loss of room space in the corners) towards the end of the run.
On that note, while more expensive, its such a treat having multiple connection hoses for different machines/areas of work and put in duct gates to keep them closed when not in use; Having one connection hose and switching it around with plugs is a pita after a whole 2 days .

Congrats on this stage. It is indeed very exciting.

My two cents will be to have a nice even floor. My garage concrete floor was made to mimic the Himalayan mountains, so moving machinery (even with large wheels) is precarious at best.

+1 for electrical connections
+1 for dust extraction circuit (pays well to take the time to design it in)

Maybe have a wide enough door s that you can wheel your workbench (once you build / get a big one) outside to work when the weather is nice.

Timber and tool storage layout is also worth thinking about.

Thank you for your replies, will think about the electrics and dust extraction, here's the progress so far, roof finished yesterday
James

Attachments

• 20210424_133830.jpg
    20210424_133830.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 202
hello, i am a new member and am currently constructing my outside workshop, 2.7m x 5.7m, fully insulated, for woodworking, can someone point me in the direction workshop layout as i have no idea, as perviously worked in a garage with a workmate and tools came out as required. I have a mitre saw, lathe, pillar drill & bandsaw currently
James
Hi Jim, interesting to see how you're progressing. My old garage is coming down this weekend, looking forward to building something that better suits my needs. Layout flexibility is my aim, wheeled units as I know it's bound to change over time.

Breathable membrane fitted so structure should be water proof, early pic showing insulated floor, I am away next week so will come back after to do windows, door and electrics, pleased so far
James

Attachments

• 20210428_154647.jpg
    20210428_154647.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 20210401_113840.jpg
    20210401_113840.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 107
Breathable membrane fitted so structure should be water proof, early pic showing insulated floor, I am away next week so will come back after to do windows, door and electrics, pleased so far
James

Doors and windows done , both bargains off e Bay, just need finishing, so onto electrics, 6 led batterns arrived from Amazon, all work despite minimal packaging, starting wiring today

Attachments

• 20210514_175652.jpg
    20210514_175652.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 78
Lovely and welcome, just don't join in with the sharpening threads.

My bench is in the middle of the shop and electrics in the ceiling, so cables come straight down to the bench. I've only got one machine and I can move that if I have to, but I'd rather not, so its electrics run down the surface of the wall and it's on a long lead.

just to echo rising wood prices, ordered my outside cladding and osb3 broads for the inside and the prices have gone up around 10-20% since i priced it up 2 months ago!! wiring basically installed, just waiting for electrician to come round and connect up, onto PIR board fitting inside

Pir board completed, filler foamed gaps, wiring done and connected at house end, onto vapour barrier and boarding, went for 13 double plugs in the end, should be enough!!

Attachments

• 20210601_192117.jpg
    20210601_192117.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 150
very good suggestion from @Cabinetman regards running trunking because it will give you a more future proof layout and then do the drops in PVC round conduit to the outlet. Also run singles as again much easier in trunking and for 13 amp sockets use a radial layout rather than the old fashioned ring main. A decent sparky will soon sort this all out for you and not fixing machine locations is a good idea, things will evolve and there are a lot of threads on this subject because a lot of us are squeezing a lot into a small space.

Looking good Jim. I’m in the process of building a couple of pairs of double doors for my garage before moving on to insulating the already completed studwork and then onto the wiring. Already taking three times as long as I originally planned but I’ll look forward to seeing what you go for dust extraction wise as I don’t think my Henry and extension hose is gonna cut it once I’m finished 😉

Looks like a nice workshop.
For layout it depends what you do, but for me I have rough timber processing at one end and more finishing stuff at the other.
Planer and rip saw by the entrance, then bandsaw, spindle and router etc .

Remember the in and outfeed clearance of machines.
Make everything on wheels.
Make everything the same height if you can.
Plan your extraction system first, mine is a shambles still, years later...
Be prepared to change it a bit if it's not working ( hence the wheels) .

Good luck

Ollie

Thank you for the support, yes everything is taking longer than expected, Vapour barrier done, which makes it dark, onto osb walls & ceiling, which I am now going to paint white

Attachments

• 20210610_164620.jpg
    20210610_164620.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 97
Battening done, I have 18mm shiplap for cladding but have just decided my Brad gun is not good enough for this , so screws or round head nails?

Attachments

• 20210621_155348.jpg
    20210621_155348.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 34
Back