New workshop reuired - maybe a log-cabin?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wabbitpoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Soon to move house and have been allocated a budget (still negiating on the size of that budget!) for a new workshop. Am thinking I'd like to get a cabin kit put up in the corner of the garden. Or I guess i could build my own. Any thoughts on pros, cos, designs and typical costs? Looking at someting attractive like this

Cabin

Have you bought online and been happy with the result? Will these type of offerings need loads of insulating? (we are goin to North Wales right next to the sea)

Some guidance to get me started PLEASE!

after adding a few options, the price gets huge. why not design and build your own? custom design perfect for yourself.

I have considered a self-build, yes, and I have yet to do the sums. I just know that I dont want to wait the 6 months it'd take me to build it!

Thanks Spindle for the link - I will take a look. What size are you looking at? I want space for:

lathe
table saw
cms
band saw (also in the budget!)
benches
extraction

with log and timber storage possibilities too (as a landscaper I need space for other equipment too, such as wheelbarrow, cement mixer, etc etc)

Is 6m x 4m going to be big enough.......I think not

Nice. I suppose the idea is to draw out the machinery and the space around it all on paper first.....

Hi

Based on the maxim 'you can never have too much workshop space' I would go for as large as you can accommodate - stretching the budget now will save wishing you had in the future.

Regards Mick

My workshop is a log cabin. It gets quite cold in there even though I have a well insulated roof.

I cannot think of any real drawbacks but for the price. Mine has a veranda so the natural light is not so good.

Mine is 6m x 6m but the veranda takes up 2m so really it's 6m x4m, and it's too small :D

Mick

If you have it all planned out to the last nail, with funds in place then it shouldn't take you 6 months, saved money can buy more toys. you'll get a lot more for your money, and you could design in removable panels for the extension, because nobodies workshop is ever big enough.

My workshop is a kit-bought log cabin and it's a great option for the speed and cost in my opinion. I've now built two, one for my mum (which she works as a therapist from) and my own, which was built as a music room, but now has all my tools etc in. Some things to consider;

- Roof overhang. It makes a huge difference to the weather protection and therefore to how often you need to varnish it. Also, natural light is great, but having sun pouring through the windows is not an advantage in really good weather as you end up either having to put blinds up or have air-con on. I would opt for at least a metre all round (not at home now or I'd measure). The back only has a small overhang and this has weathered completely differently to the front and sides. My Mum's doesn't have much of an overhand anywhere and has weathered badly (rot etc).

- Power supply. Get the thickest cable in that you can. I've had to upgrade mine and it was a PItA.

- Orientation North/South and locating of the doors and windows. Again, to make use of/avoid the light. I've heard Chris Schwarz talking about his favourite area to work being in front of a north facing window because the natural light never glares, so he can work in a consistent environment.

- Timber thickness. Mine's 44mm and I wouldn't go any less than this.

- Heating. I've got insulation floor and ceiling but it gets too cold to work in without heating for about 3-4 months a year (I haven't needed it yet this year for example). That said, it warms up in about 20mins with a 3kw heater and stays warm easily. If I was building again, I would factor in a small wood-burning stove.

I don't know where in North Wales you are, but I'm only in Runcorn (North Cheshire) and if it is practical for you, you would be welcome to come and a have brew and a look at the cabin.

Thanks for all that info Noggsy - we will be in Anglesey (moving before xmas we hope) so I may take u up on that some time. Where did you buy yours from?

I like the idea of the stove - another avenue of research I'll have to do. I don't see natural light being an issue either way to be honest, as its intended for evening working anyway (at least until I can retire!). One option I have is to put it n the corner of the garden, which is under some pine trees. Would the needle drop be a big PITA I wonder?

As regards power etc, I was anticipating laying ductwork (ie 100mm pipe) thru which to pass utilities, though i can't decide whether I need a sink out there (it'd be useful though)...water in is easy - water out ain't.

Anyway, othanks to all for the input - I will be back with more questions I am sure.

Sorry mate, I really can't remember. I'll try and dig out the info when I get back this weekend, but it was about five years ago and I'm not sure I still have it. Mine's under a cherry tree and I do get a collection of leaves, but the wind tends to take care of that. Needles are smaller, so could be an issue in lifting your roof tiles potenentially I suppose. Give me a PM if you want a visit, or if there is anything else I can help with.

Good luck with the move.

I bought a Dunster House 5x4 log cabin - it's been great, and yes it's to small; but it fits in the garden, any bigger and I would be in the neighbours.

SWMBO didn't want a shed at the end of the garden and insisted on something that looked nice, and they do. I felt at the time it was good value for money, once the base was laid it was up in a day, very simple to put together.
If I were getting another then I would pay the extra for all the insulation options they now offer; although I have insulated the inside and the roof, I feel that the custom made panels would be more efficient.

By the way (this was just over 5 years ago) Dunster House couldn't have been more helpful; I was short about a dozen roof planks, and they got them couriered the very next day; it has to be said they couldn't quite believe that there was an error in the delivery :)

Chris

Yes - I am under pressure to have a "nice" building!

As for size, I imagine that

a) its never large enough, as
b) you will always fill the space to its max (ie buy more stuff) !

In truth all I want is space for the lathe, table saw (on wheels), band saw (yet to be purchased) and a good bench. Is putting the bench in the centre of the floor a silly idea, or maybe have one on casters so I can make a space when I need to?.....

Having things 'on wheels' always seems like a good idea to me. However if you're planning on doing hand tools work, especially planing, that might not work so well with the bench.

Putting the bench in the center of the shop also seems like a good idea. It's handy to be able to get round all the sides from time to time I find.

The down side being perhaps that it becomes a dumping ground for everything else!

Latest posts

Back