New Workshop - my lockdown holiday project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterw3035

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Well the time has finally arrived and my lockdown holiday project to knock down and rebuild my old garage & workshop. The longest journey starts with a single start and that's finally happened.

My current garage was build as a temporary measure to restore my old dinghy a project that lasted 12 years !!! That was over 25 years ago so the building has lasted well but is now well past its best and certainly undersize for what I now need.

Plastic crates have been obtained and the first load of turning blanks have moved out to a temporary home, a tree has been felled and the enormity of the emptying and demolition is becoming clear. Hopefully will be able to report on progress over the coming weeks & months.

IMG_20210321_181659.jpg

IMG_20210404_114610.jpg

IMG_20210404_114620.jpg

IMG_20210405_170248.jpg

IMG_20210405_170423.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Blimey you have got some shifting to do :eek: lots of pics of you're build please (y). I cheated a bit when i built mine as i built around and over my old tiny garage ,then knocked out the ends , it made the move of years worth of built up treasures/timber/tools much easier and i didn't need to shift it all twice :)

Blimey you have got some shifting to do :eek: lots of pics of you're build please (y). I cheated a bit when i built mine as i built around and over my old tiny garage ,then knocked out the ends , it made the move of years worth of built up treasures/timber/tools much easier and i didn't need to shift it all twice :)
Now that was an different approach 😲, well done. I'm turning mine through 90 degrees and apart from the main double doors there's nothing worth saving.

Looks like you ought to be renting a shipping container to get you through! Will it be timber or brick? Ian
Ian, a 10ft container is on order but there were very few available as a huge number are out on hire, another consequence of Covid !!
It will be timber studwork sat on a small brick plinth, clad externally with feather edged weather board. Final decision on concrete slab or traditional strip footing to be made once I get my groundworker here, the problem is that the ground levels on my boundary drop about 800mm to the outside path/road level.

Ian, a 10ft container is on order but there were very few available as a huge number are out on hire, another consequence of Covid !!
It will be timber studwork sat on a small brick plinth, clad externally with feather edged weather board. Final decision on concrete slab or traditional strip footing to be made once I get my groundworker here, the problem is that the ground levels on my boundary drop about 800mm to the outside path/road level.
Ps. Container due for delivery next week but overhead power & BT cables, driveway slope & lack of turning space in road gives some uncertainty as to whether they can place it where I need it !! 🤞🤞

Have you a plan B?

How about going down to a self store place in Soton explain your situation and ask to rent a door and say 8 steel sections these can then be secured to a base ring of timber 4x2. Then place another ring of 4x2 on top and screw 18mm ply it. Cover with DPM.

Just an idea!

Cheers James

I was going to suggest Ground Screws. Then you mentioned an 800 mil differential in height. Overhead power lines et al as well dear heavens above you need help! ha ha
Very best of luck Peter, I shall follow this with great interest. Ian

Have you a plan B?

How about going down to a self store place in Soton explain your situation and ask to rent a door and say 8 steel sections these can then be secured to a base ring of timber 4x2. Then place another ring of 4x2 on top and screw 18mm ply it. Cover with DPM.

Just an idea!

Cheers James
That's an idea, but I'm hopeful they will get it in. Plan B is to take over our summer house & garden shed, there's limited room and not a popular idea !! Plan C is to re-erect part of the original garage in sections. Both cheap options but more work.

I was going to suggest Ground Screws. Then you mentioned an 800 mil differential in height. Overhead power lines et al as well dear heavens above you need help! ha ha
Very best of luck Peter, I shall follow this with great interest. Ian
Always up for a challenge, better than sitting in front of the TV.
And we've now watched all the available crime dramas 😜

10ft container safely delivered this morning, very efficient drop, overhead cables avoided, road blocked but managed to avoid any abuse. The clear out can now begin in earnest, quart into a pint pot comes to mind 😆

Be sure to lock it with a good quality lock , it will not have gone unnoticed that you are placing lots of gear in one Aladdins cave .

Well that’s the first step – well done, is the new workshop going to be much larger than the old garage?
Hesitate to mention it, but you will be able to get the container out again when you’ve built your larger workshop won’t you!
Friend of mine has a removals firm and he said it’s surprising how often he comes across furniture that has been built in the room it’s in, and no way to get it out lol.

Well that’s the first step – well done, is the new workshop going to be much larger than the old garage?
Hesitate to mention it, but you will be able to get the container out again when you’ve built your larger workshop won’t you!
Friend of mine has a removals firm and he said it’s surprising how often he comes across furniture that has been built in the room it’s in, and no way to get it out lol.
Total floor area will be the same as our original garden shed and garage combined for which we had to apply for retrospective planning as some unknown person complained !!! It's a replacement of the same size but in a slightly different position and it will comply with the planning requirements for heights & dims to boundary etc so should be permitted development. It will be under 30m2 so doesn't need B Regs. The larger part will be workshop with a smaller part cycle & motorbike store.

There has been much mental gymnastics in the planning and we will be able to get it out. Although the delivery driver did say it would be best if he came to pick it up when we've done as only he would know how he managed to get it in !!

That made me laugh thank you. There’s always one isn’t there! Interfering busybodies Grrrr
The satisfying irony was that it spurred me on and we included a two storey side extension as well to get value out of the planning application fee, we didn't ever find out who it was but it was a satisfying up yours :p !!!

Back