New workshop for 2020

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic work Phil, you should be very proud. I look forward to seeing the tour inside when it all settles down. Thanks for posting, I’ve really enjoyed it.

Thanks, it’s been a journey I never intended to make on my own, but now having done it, I can (and do) smile every time I open the door. 😀

The fit out inside may take a good few weeks, as this project has now been downgraded by Mrs S to below her kitchen refit which was planned to be done before the workshop was to be started. With Covid’s intervention, projects were reprioritised in order of material availability, and with kitchen manufactures shut my project got elevated to number 1 😉😉

look out for the tour, it will be a further transformation.

Your build looks very well done, fits in with the house and now with the paving 👌 I bet SWMBO is well pleased. I'm looking forward to the setup inside.:cool:

Your build looks very well done, fits in with the house and now with the paving 👌 I bet SWMBO is well pleased. I'm looking forward to the setup inside.:cool:

Thanks, Mrs S is well pleased.

Unfortunately, she cannot see any project in its finished form until it’s built. Seeing anything on plan means absolutely nothing as she can’t see the 3D visage.
the times I’ve had to say ‘trust me, it’ll look great when it’s finished’ didn’t do anything to allay fears of a ‘shack’ ruining her garden. 😗

internals are in progress, now it is at last a secure place, I can get the odd half day doing bits between getting the raised planters built, filled with the soil from the patio oversite and planted up. The rest of the garden can then wait till spring whilst the kitchen is transformed into a kitchen diner with the removal of a wall, fortunately I’m not doing the major works on this, just the tiling, flooring and decorating.

rather than drip feed, will post a single WIP of the internals here in due course.

I neglected to ask, which kitchen cabinets did you get? B&Q?

Did you find a nice supplier of cheap drawer slides? and how about the fire door blanks?

I neglected to ask, which kitchen cabinets did you get? B&Q?

Did you find a nice supplier of cheap drawer slides? and how about the fire door blanks?
Yes, B&Q cabinets, bought through trade point at 5% off, were £22 each, quite a decent cabinet for the use I put them to. On the bay there are a number of slide suppliers, in the end I used full extension,you lose just a little too much open exposure with the 3/4 extension. The first lot of 3/4 I bought and fitted I modified by moving the retainer clip back 70mm, they are now all but full extension, I returned forty 3/4 sets . Another big advantage using the full extension is the tolerance. With 3/4 extension, finished drawers must be within 1-2mm of exact width required and no wider than exact as they will bind. With full extension, there is up to a good 6mm tolerance, the drawer can be made fractionally smaller, the fixing plate on the full extension slide will accommodate the difference. The cost difference is not good though. 3/4 are sub £2 full extension are a fraction under a fiver. Made a big difference on the extra forty sets.

The fire door blanks from Howdens make a fantastic worktop for the units, whilst they certainly look a lot nicer than laminate, I’m not sure they are any cheaper than kitchen worktops, especially when the edge lipping cost is added to the mix. An 8ft x 4ft sheet is £100+ and lipping is £8 for 8ft length.

I was fortunate to get a ply deal with tradepoint, hardwood ply £22 a sheet for 18mm and £26 for 12mm for the drawers. I grabbed four sheets of each at that price as I wanted 18mm for drawer fronts and cleat wall and 12 mm to make all the drawers and cleat storage trays.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I've had a trade point card for years but frankly never used it as they are still expensive!

I always go at least full extension. I'm even tempted to get the ones that actually go further this time so that they clear the drawer above.

I was thinking either fire doors like yourself or just doubling up some hardwood ply as a cheaper option that would look and act the same in practise. Was the lipping from them also? I always watch videos and someone just goes "and here I've just pulled this perfect bit of hardwood from my extensive and exotic collection" and I look at my pile of CLS or redwood offcuts 🤣.

Thanks for the info. I've had a trade point card for years but frankly never used it as they are still expensive!

I always go at least full extension. I'm even tempted to get the ones that actually go further this time so that they clear the drawer above.

I was thinking either fire doors like yourself or just doubling up some hardwood ply as a cheaper option that would look and act the same in practise. Was the lipping from them also? I always watch videos and someone just goes "and here I've just pulled this perfect bit of hardwood from my extensive and exotic collection" and I look at my pile of CLS or redwood offcuts 🤣.

TradePoint doing 18mm ply at £22 was the draw As it was £6 a board cheaper than anywhere else and delivered free. I guess they’d got stuffed with stock as lockdown took hold. The lipping was from Howdens.

Door blanks are 44mm thick, heavy and flat. I guess two sheets of 18mm stuck together would be a solid enough top.

Latest posts

Back