New workshop for 2020

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeG.":2ln3f6li said:
Double your wall plates and you don't need to line up trusses with studs. Having said that, I built my workshop with studs on 600 C's. There's no need for 400 C's unless you're lining the inside with plasterboard, and even then, you can use 15mm plasterboard at 600 C's.

All internal walls will be fireproof plasterboard due to the 'predominantly fireproof' regulation except the house wall which will be Acoustic Plasterboard, so I will put 15mm boards all round for the little extra in cost.

It was as much about the strength of the end walls taking the load, and whether they would benefit from 400mm studs. I could do as you suggest, double up the wall plates, 400mm stud spacing on end walls, and 600mm for the trusses (they are manufactured on assumed 600mm spacing).

Thanks again for your input Mike.

plan with dimensions showing brick courses.

foundation dimensions.jpg

Attachments

• foundation dimensions.jpg
    foundation dimensions.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 239
Progress this week, footings are in along with DPM ,and working on second course of bricks to DPC.

CDD4E2A0-CD69-431D-A574-9345C94853BC.jpeg

FA3BCE5F-CD77-4F97-8EE8-8D1B7F17CF35.jpeg

All being well timber should start to arrive this coming week, roof trusses ordered for end of April.

Why do pictures appear sideways, but are right way up when you click on them?

Attachments

• CDD4E2A0-CD69-431D-A574-9345C94853BC.jpeg
    CDD4E2A0-CD69-431D-A574-9345C94853BC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 198
  • FA3BCE5F-CD77-4F97-8EE8-8D1B7F17CF35.jpeg
    FA3BCE5F-CD77-4F97-8EE8-8D1B7F17CF35.jpeg
    872.1 KB · Views: 198
MikeG.":235vhb2y said:
From the outside?

Can still be attached from inside at this point, I guess there is a reason not from outside.

Would I have a wood plate strapped to the DPC and bricks, then fix wall structure as pre fabricated 3.6m panels (Bottoms, studs and tops) to that, or strap the wall panels to the DPC? I will be adding an extra wall plate after.

Yes, they most certainly should not be on the outside, subject to the weather, and where fixings will rust. They'll also create a pathway for damp into the building.

You can have it that the sole plate of the panelwork is bedded on mortar on the plinth. That's how I built my workshop. However, it is easier to do a good job if you bed the sole plate down first, and strap it down properly, before then placing the panel on top. .....and that what I did when I built the extension to my house.

Thanks Mike, will sort straps later today.

A plate strapped first, then panelled is how I will go, I think it will be far more accurate setting out the timbers this way.

Thanks for input.

If you want to be strict about it you would look up its BBA certificate, and see what that says. If you were having the building inspected then the Building Inspector might ask for this. However, I would be completely content to use that on both walls and roof of a non-controlled building even if its use on walls wasn't covered by the BBA. Basically, roofing membranes need to be more robust than that used in walls because of the toes of the boots of the roofers, and because of all the debris generated by roofing. They have roughly equal requirements for vapour permeability. The logic therefore is that roofing membranes can be used on walls, but wall membranes can't necessarily be used on rooves.

Well, that’s the build put on hold for now.

All the timber and osb was due for delivery on Wednesday, can’t see that happening, so no more materials to work with.

Have paint, so more decorating inside, I have been told by Management. :cry:

I imagine your delivery will still occur. You can't go into any shopstbut most are still operating delivery services.

Had confirmation, timber delivery will be Friday, but at new price of 24p metre price rise on the 4x2. Added £80 to the bill (I was given chance to cancel order).

Roof trusses delayed till further notice, all manufacturing halted. Cladding unknown delay, possibly weeks.

Might be best to just set the sole plates on the brick foundation and DPC, build the frames, store them onsite and wait for things to get back to ‘normal’ before erecting the shell.

Sheptonphil":1h3znwyb said:
Had confirmation, timber delivery will be Friday, but at new price of 24p metre price rise on the 4x2. Added £80 to the bill (I was given chance to cancel order).

Roof trusses delayed till further notice, all manufacturing halted. Cladding unknown delay, possibly weeks.

Might be best to just set the sole plates on the brick foundation and DPC, build the frames, store them onsite and wait for things to get back to ‘normal’ before erecting the shell.
Bummer. Hopefully once the full lockdown is eased they'll get back to work so yeah, get those frames done and under a tarp.

Where did you get your timber from out of interest?

I sourced the timber from Right Price at Shepton Mallet and got a really good deal of £9.30 inc VAT for 4.8m C16 100x50 for 70 lengths. £3.20 for 40 off 4.8m of 25x50 tanno roof batten, and £16 for 2400x1200 OSB, all delivered.

I've been a customer of theirs for 30 years and prices are always competitive.

Phil

The trusses are now designed and the roof can flow without the separate pent area, which would have lost ceiling height. Planning officer is still happy as it follows house roof layout. Its going to have a single apex design, with stub trusses where the extended part tucks in. The flat wall instead of roof line will be behind my perimeter wall. Will make slating a tidier and easier job as well.

trusses.jpg

Attachments

• trusses.jpg
    trusses.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 180
How are you going to lift the trusses onto the walls? Or do the delivery trucks have folding cranes to place them on top in bundles for you to spread out, brace and attach? Here that's one of the ways it would be done. The other is to have them delivered to the ground and a telehandler (extending boom fork lift) lifts them into position.

Pete

Haven’t actually crossed that bridge yet. :|

I know a farmer with a tele handler if needs be. The trusses weigh 48 kg each so not massively difficult I would have thought for three people. (He says optimistically)

Delivery as scheduled. Start on the sole plates today.

50B6F56A-A4C5-4D4C-BD4F-07C495B37A35.jpeg

Attachments

• 50B6F56A-A4C5-4D4C-BD4F-07C495B37A35.jpeg
    50B6F56A-A4C5-4D4C-BD4F-07C495B37A35.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 162
Back