New workshop authorised by Mrs H - help with costings.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_H

Established Member
Reaction score
Mrs H has finally agreed that the double garage I am using can be decommissioned and I can have a new workshop since I have started producing useful things like oak furniture. I am looking at a structure about 25ft long and 15ft wide (flexible as there is space). I am trying to decide whether a brick/block structure or a solid timber workshop would be better. Any idea of costings (very roughly) for a project like that. Any recommendations for GOOD timber workshop companies if I go down that route. I had a wooden one at my last cottage but it wasn't very solid and I want something that will solid, well built and well insulated and built to last.

Hmm, even more of a fire hazard than wood I would have thought..... luckily we have no neighbours so sound is not an issue.

I went for brick construction - primarily to match the existing shed that I extended.Concrete base,single-skin brickwork (same as existing) but ply/felt roof,rather than copying the existing 6" thick concrete..
It was two years ago,and cost about £160/m2 for all materials (including electrics) - did it all myself,so no labour costs.
If I was doing one from scratch,I would go for timber studwork construction - easy to insulate,easy to hide the wiring,and sheet material inside makes it easy to fasten anything to the walls.

Do yuo have any planning restrictions to contend with ?

Andrew

Not sure about planning at the moment. I need to research that. I hope I don't need it but I need to read the regs.

Here's a useful link I found when doing some research for my build - gives some useful general info.
Check with your own BCO (Building Control Officer) at your local council to be sure,though - they are actually generally helpful and friendly people.

Andrew

Thanks. Doesn't look as though I would require it for a wooden structure - brick built might be different so i'll give them a call. I've been looking at the WIP photos for workshop projects and I'm very jealous - I wish it was done and built and I could get on using it rather than still being in the planning stage.

houtslager

While I agree with your comments about the pluses of straw bale construction (they are warm, quiet, comfortable, and very fire resistant), it should be noted that there are a few minuses to go with them too.

They are more labour intensive than a wood framed structure and they don't lend themselves to protracted construction especially in wet climates. Most people are not familiar with the construction and unless someone is keen on doing a lot of research, planning, and has the room to store the materials before and during construction, their dream shop may become a frustration.

The biggest downfall, especially for a small building like the one Rob_H wants is the loss of usable floor area lost due to the thickness of the walls. With a building of 25ft x 15ft the footprint is 375 sq ft. Walls of 2x4 and sheet goods will use about 36 sq ft of that area resulting in about 339 sq ft of usable inside space. With the walls of straw having a finished thickness of about 18 inches each, the loss is 111 sq ft leaving 264 sq ft of usable floor space. That isn't acceptable to most.

I think Straw Bale is a great way to build but I don't think it is for someone that has never done any building before in spite of what many authors and enthusiasts believe. I have been involved in building a small (28 ft x 28ft) straw bale house and as a framing helper (1st job out of high school) about 6 or 8 houses. With a buddy to help I could put up a 2x4 walled workshop like Rob_H wants in two weeks from forming the foundation to locking the doors. Might even have the siding finished too. I'm not sure I could accomplish as much if I were to attempt the same with straw bales.

Rob_H

If you can afford to and have the space, I think you should make your shop larger. If you can't now, at least lay it out to easily add to in the future.

Best of luck.

They are more labour intensive than a wood framed structure and they don't lend themselves to protracted construction especially in wet climates. Most people are not familiar with the construction and unless someone is keen on doing a lot of research, planning, and has the room to store the materials before and during construction, their dream shop may become a frustration.

hmm ok lets look at this
More LI then timber - nah imho less but it takes a little bit of lateral thinking, as my folks say in Eiré "dese feet are for dancin' and dit is for tinkin' " :D
amount of timber needed is less if one goes for Load bearing construction. and for the small size of building this is ideal way of building.

SB are faily light in fact lighter and easier to move then bloody great lengths of timbers.

I am building 2 SB buildings the first is 6 x 7m Externally = 4.9 x 6m internally, the 2nd will be 18m x 7m

The cost as a SB ( small one +/- 0.9 x.0.40 x 0.45m ) weigh in at 15Kg around 75pence each plus delivery. so M2 costing against either brick or timber frame + cladding is far far cheaper.

You order the bales a week ahead and a few LARGE tarpalins to cover for storage, then you should not have any insurmountable problems, the biggest problem is findingg people to do the LIME plastering or CLAY plastering.

Anyway I wish you all the best in your dream workshop, you'll get tons of advice and tips from everyonmne herer, BUT YOU have to decide.

HS

I've decided against straw but thanks for the advice anyway.
Inspector":2x1njnlm said:
Rob_H

If you can afford to and have the space, I think you should make your shop larger. If you can't now, at least lay it out to easily add to in the future.

Best of luck.

Inspector, I'm going out this morning to measure up - I'm lucky in that I have the space to make it a lot bigger - it depends on Mrs H and how much she'll let me get away with.

No matter what you do, it will never be big enough. Well that is my experience. So go for the biggest workshop you can accomodate to ease the burden.

I've amended my plans - now going for 43 feet x 17 feet although I would like it wider if I can get away with it but I'm trying to keep it in line with an exisiting guest annexe in the garden. I'm thinking about a solid timber structure now, like a log cabin. Just researching websites now.

Definately go for the largest you can, or (AS Inspector said) plan NOW for expansion. Whatever size you have now I guarantee you'll need more in a year or two so might as well plan for it now, even if SWMBO puts a ceiling on the budget today :)

Thanks, carlsberg. I make mine just over 196 cubic metres so I think I'll be in the planning area if it's the same here.

Hi Houtslager,
I'm thinking of building a straw bale building this summer. I'd be very interested to hear about your larger build - that's a similar size to the one I'm planning. Any idea of costs - any pictures would be very welcome.
MBK

houtslager":3gbzp72q said:

hmm ok lets look at this
More LI then timber - nah imho less but it takes a little bit of lateral thinking, as my folks say in Eiré "dese feet are for dancin' and dit is for tinkin' " :D
amount of timber needed is less if one goes for Load bearing construction. and for the small size of building this is ideal way of building.

SB are faily light in fact lighter and easier to move then bloody great lengths of timbers.

I am building 2 SB buildings the first is 6 x 7m Externally = 4.9 x 6m internally, the 2nd will be 18m x 7m

The cost as a SB ( small one +/- 0.9 x.0.40 x 0.45m ) weigh in at 15Kg around 75pence each plus delivery. so M2 costing against either brick or timber frame + cladding is far far cheaper.

You order the bales a week ahead and a few LARGE tarpalins to cover for storage, then you should not have any insurmountable problems, the biggest problem is findingg people to do the LIME plastering or CLAY plastering.

Anyway I wish you all the best in your dream workshop, you'll get tons of advice and tips from everyonmne herer, BUT YOU have to decide.

HS

I think you should take your time in planning. I've been planning mine for 9 months and going over the plans and jottings regularly bring up items like

1, how am I going to do that
2, can I do it on my own.
3, do I need any special tools / machinery to carry out this task
4, where am I going to store the materials.
5, what special materials do I need - dpc, dpm, vb, insulation, electrics etc.

Also, is it better to have one large workshop and partition it, or separate attached "sheds" for storing wood / dust collectors / compressor / spraying / finishing.

Slight delay in this thread - got blown off course for a while but the build is now back on. I have just had a letter back from Planning at Hunts Council saying I don't appear to require planning permission but may need Consent under Building Regulations. Can anyone explain the difference?

Back