New woodworking TV show on BBC2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsb

Established Member
Reaction score
Surprised that there's not been any mention of this on the forum. Did anyone see it and was it any good. " Jay's Yorkshire Workshop" Wednesday's at 9pm

There was some nice machinery on show but not much woodworking going on.

Definitely made for the tv audience rather than woodworkers.

Basically its a project done for a good cause, a type of programme done a few times before but this time with some woodworking interspersed with quite a bit of talking. I watched about half of it but didn't bother with the rest.

Watched the first part, then got fed up. The basic idea has been flogged to death on other similar garden/house shows, but it has added a slight twist where 'amateur' woodworkes are paired with a professional to produce something unique for a deserving cause. That's all been done before as well. It just didn't hold my interest.

Yes I watched one programme and occasionally I pondered to myself and how did they do that bit as 10 seconds before it looked wrong and an edit or two later all was well e.g. tambour doors on a sideboard

Yes I watched one programme and occasionally I pondered to myself and how did they do that bit as 10 seconds before it looked wrong and an edit or two later all was well e.g. tambour doors on a sideboard
Exactly! Not just me then.

Here's a bit of wood ......... here's a massive garden seat and arbour!

Masterchef is just as bad. Here's a dead fish ....... here's a Michelin star meal!

At least Jay's Repair Shop program gives some idea about how these things are done.

I wondered how long this topic would take to surface over here.

Yes, I did watch it.
My Better half gets a nice and interested response from the 'Repair Shop' and they have some interesting stuff to 'repair........but, and here's what did it for me with this little outing - about half way through someone was busy using a mortice-drill to squelch out a mortise.
You, know, the ones with a lever plunge action that have a modified auger rotating too damn fast inside a hollow, square chisel section. Anyway, close-up-camera-shot of the chisel section as it rose from the debris, all smoking and blued with heat.... less than 10 seconds of someone's TV time......
Those things mustn't get hot enough to destroy the hardness of the steel but it convinced me that the operator didn't know what he was doing and that this was a fiasco to avoid.

Are they made of a standard tool steel or HSS?

Dunno.
Either or both, it depends on how much you pay for it and where it was made, I suppose. They are hardened and intended to be sharpened when they get blunt.

The point is that there's a method of assembling the auger inside the hollow chisel that allows it to turn without overwhelming friction (assuming that the thing's sharp in the first place, that is).

A little bit of chain-saw oil on the internal bits also works wonders.

........but, and here's what did it for me with this little outing - about half way through someone was busy using a mortice-drill to squelch out a mortise.
You, know, the ones with a lever plunge action that have a modified auger rotating too damn fast inside a hollow, square chisel section. Anyway, close-up-camera-shot of the chisel section as it rose from the debris, all smoking and blued with heat.... less than 10 seconds of someone's TV time......
Those things mustn't get hot enough to destroy the hardness of the steel but it convinced me that the operator didn't know what he was doing and that this was a fiasco to avoid.

What's wrong with yer? Close enough innit? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Mortiser.JPG

I've stopped watching 'The Repair Shop' :mad:

The number of times I've screamed at the screen "Stop doing that!!!" - using a one-hand held power drill to put a hole in an item held in the other hand! rather than clamping the work in a vice and using a pillar drill :(

Some of the work done is quite superb of course but the 'point' of the show is one of the 'Emotion' invested in the objects being repaired rather than 'How to do it' stance.

As for the new show, I haven't bothered - much to do with the fact that I don't consider Jay worth a candle!

So does the team think there have ever been any good woodworking shoes produced on TV or any of the subscription services?

I seem to remember watching a house repair/upgrade show as a boy say the 60's.....
with some bloke just making a mess of wrecking a house....may have been a semi.....dunno....
was it Bob, no, not the builder, too new....
think the house had to be rebuilt when they finished the show...

Latest posts

Back